Tuesday 21 June 2005

I heard it on the grapevine

A new aerobics class started in the community centre just down the road. I had been meaning to go to a class for ages and a friend told me about this with just half an hour notice. I haven't done any organised exercise for more years than I care to remember so you can imagine.

We live in a mainly Muslim and Hindu area so half the class of six wore saris with their trainers. The rest, including the young Anglo-Pakistani teacher wore the usual exercise garb.

Lined up, the music was switched on. It was a pumped-up version of the Star Wars theme. It was like the Classical Rock style of the 80s and Star Wars took on a new dimension. It seemed like an odd choice for us women.

Within seconds we were having to march, prance backwards, forwards, sideways, moving on to doing the grapevine. I didn't do too badly keeping up but when we started to do some sort of loop-de-loop spin at the end of each grapevine I was flummoxed. At this point I took myself out of "serious, I want to look cool and get this right" mode and took to marching it out.

Paying attention to the others I now realised there was this glorious swirling of saris, with flailing arms and legs at the other end of the line and each of them were doing their own wonderful interpretation of what we were supposed to be doing. It made me chuckle to myself about all my seriousness and I'm sure one of them half-winked back at me as she smiled and continued.

Same time next Tuesday then!


Original Comments:

Karen said...

LOL - I hate going to exercise classes - I'm always scared I'll break wind - sshhhh don't tell anyone.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 11:51:00 AM

doris said...

But the music is usually loud enough and we're all stomping or whatever and too busy thinking about ourselves. I say fart and be done with :-)

BTW Karen, I must seem mad! I thought you were off to Glastonbury festival rather than the soltice at Stonehenge! Doh! Explains my stupid comment about Blondie. I'm just about to come over to enjoy your pics :-)

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:24:00 PM

Alessandro Rosetti said...

which fack thing is happening here with this writing? nobody works around as chicken with the witness excluded if they do not have the some idea where head is to the hole in the basket has gone.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:26:00 PM

Cheryl said...

Exercise, that's what you do to use up spare energy, isn't it?
Nice Post.

Have to say to Alessandro: Wow! That is fantastic! Do you work on being completely unintelligable, or does it come naturally?

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 5:03:00 PM

doris said...

Alessandro Rosetti - Squorely uddle twing im ripley blay. Twicken rop lus qwerty mib likely? Florting, sib jork yot hunder vell :-)

Cheryl - wot? you not got spare energy or is it just me that has plenty..... zzzzzzzzz

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 7:58:00 PM

Ghone said...

Please please please take your camera with you next week - pretend to be out of breath for one section and capture those swirling colours!

Friday, June 24, 2005 12:01:00 AM

doris said...

The bright colours are kept for special occasions.... I don't think pale grey or magnolia warrants a pic! But nice that is the picture in your mind :-)

Friday, June 24, 2005 12:08:00 AM

Red Mum said...

That sounds like the best fun, just the ticket for those of us who need our exercise hidden by fun. Excellent and funny post.

www.redmum.blogspot.com

Friday, June 24, 2005 10:11:00 AM

No comments: