Saturday 21 April 2007

Ode to Mantovani

Just now I listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme about Mantovani and his music. I have always loved "Some Enchanted Evening" and it is the Mantovani version that grabs me with its sweeping strings and crescendos. The music lifts you up and keeps on lifting until you feel your heart is going to burst with joy and then it lifts you some more.

This music is so rude or is it just me. Listening to it I feel like I am clad in a long satin sheath gown with the music purring and slowly, ever so slowly, stroking me. I want to shift just slightly so that its caresses hit the sweet spot but it doesn't and I feel flushed and want to dance into the arms of Mr Doris. To have his arm around my waist and the other gently holding my hand as we spin around the room with only eyes for each other. A world of passion but also a world of innocence.

I'm listening to a Mantovani Fan site juke box with tiny excerpts. Sadly no "Some Enchanted Evening" but I am bowled over by so many of the pieces especially, "When I fall in love" which is one of those significant pieces in my life. This was the tune that Mr Doris and I walked down the aisle to just after we were married and one that I scoured many music shops for the right version before our marriage. The version I found was good but this one was so much better. Ah well.

Such beautiful music shouldn't have been relegated to the lifts and shopping malls.


Original Comments:

Jo said...

Such a sweet post Doris. I have a picture in my mind there of you lost in your romantic reverie, and in the arms of Mr Doris. You are a bona fide softie aren't you darling? ;-)

Monday, April 23, 2007 12:15:00 AM


jane said...

Hi Doris! I'm so glad you're back amongst the blogging.

I have to admit, I've never heard of Mantovani. I'm not very cultured, I know. But "When I fall in love" *gasp*, it's one of those breathtaking songs that makes my heart skip a beat and dance on it's own. I never tire of hearing that song.
It is no wonder you & Mr. Doris played it during your wedding. It is so perfectly fitting.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:35:00 PM



Chandira said...

Ah! Sweet... meanwhile I was with 2,000 sweaty punks moshing to Iggy and the Stooges, which in it's own way was equally romantic.. ;-)
Robert showed his love by coming with me, which was really something he didn't want to do.
Now he likes Iggy, which is even better! A convert!

Happy listening. :-)

Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:36:00 PM



Ally said...

Aw! I feel that way about 'Still Crazy After All These Years' by Paul Simon :).

Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:53:00 AM

No comments: