Saturday 31 March 2007

Saga sellout

For a few years now I have listened to Saga radio in the "great East Midlands". Saga is the UK organisation for the over 50s and that was supposedly its market but what they did a good job of was playing a whole range of music from the 1930s to the current day. I didn't have to be over 50 to appreciate music not of my era and it made for a really enjoyable and quirky radio station.

Saga was bought out a while ago and for the last month have been announcing their new name of "Smooth" radio as if that was the only thing changing. The change has now happened. It is no longer the Saga radio I have known and loved. They play very few of the older tracks and seem to favour mainly 80s and 90s tracks. Does that sound familiar? The drivel of regular pop stations? I don't mind the occasional 80s or 90s track of my younger days which is what Saga did a good job of presenting. But to take a time leap and walk back into the 90s is not what I want on my radio station.

It is such a shame and has left my radio waves bereft.


Original Comments:

Steg said...

"Smooth" radio, eh? With a name like that I could have predicted disappointment.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 10:47:00 PM



Britmum said...

I hate it when they have to change a good thing. I really miss listening to the local radio station in England. I hate listening to these over zealous Americans lol.

Take care xx

Sunday, April 01, 2007 6:29:00 AM

No comments: