Monday 19 March 2007

Ladies who lunch

It seems I can now call myself one of the ladies who lunch. Well sort of. That's if you can count our second lunch date today with another pencilled in for a month's time. And you know what? It is a ball.

This is all new to me. It has always felt like it was the domain of other women. Those women who were immaculately manicured from head to toe. Top notch cosmetics in their make-up bags and rectangles of plastic with plenty of credit. Scary women who somehow managed to simultaneously seem rather superficial but clever enough to snag themselves a wealthy husband.

Yet here we are, the three of us. Me and my two new friends recently acquired during a one day training event in which we shared something special. Often on these days one meets and connects with new people and we share our numbers and say we must keep in touch but despite the best of will just don't. This has turned out to be different so far. Rather good and special.

The one day event was a colour analysis day which had been gifted to me by a very good friend. How was she to know that not only has the day turned my world around giving me the confidence to feel like I am no longer a chrysalis but am actually the butterfly; it has also given me the gift of new friends. The other two taking part were already friends and it turns out we three shared some aspects of our childhoods in that we moved around on account of a parent in the forces. I suppose it is a bit like a secret handshake - we just know we have a connection and therefore we are.

And here we are after our colour analysis. Meeting up to reinforce each other and to share our experiences. We dress up and preen. We share vital info about make-up or colours and in amongst the Rimmels is the Clinique and Dior. It is a wonderful supportive relationship between us, not competitive. I have the oldest children and theirs are a similar age and on the heels of mine... we talk about issues... laughing about how to explain a blow job to a child who has asked... I introduce them both to the pleasures of a mooncup.... and after we have eaten our ciabattas (with knife and fork!) we reapply our lipsticks, bold as brass, in public.

Just in case I forget myself and think I am some vacuous woman who lunches, I should remind myself that this morning I did a lot of work before I went out. Quite technical it was. Overdue I admit but at least I went out with a clear conscience knowing I had done well.

So now I'm insufferable! Mr Doris is wonderful at putting up with me - he now calls me his "technicolor wife" - but the kids are finding it hard dealing with their new mum. That is quite another story and I am too happy to go there.


Original Comments:

Britmum said...

Wow Doris so excited to see that you are back to blogging. I did see you at Jo's and I am so happy.

I really liked this post and I am glad for you.

Take care xx

Monday, March 19, 2007 10:25:00 PM



Chandira said...

:-) Yes 'doing lunch' is fun. I have a few ladies I lunch with, but sadly I have to go back to work afterwards. Maybe one day I'll be able to permanently 'lunch'.. lol
Wouldn't that be nice? Hopefully it'll coincide with chocolate flavour broccoli, so my waist won't increase too badly. ;-)

Monday, March 19, 2007 11:59:00 PM



Steg said...

Yay for technicolour Doris!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:32:00 AM



Badaunt said...

You're BACK! Yay!

I'm going to be a Lady Who Lunches tomorrow AND the next day, with different friends - and in different cities, come to think of it. (Living between Osaka and Kobe makes me feel quite the jet-setter, er... train-setter?) I hadn't thought of myself as a Lady Who Lunches before. But when classes start again I'll be back to being a Working Woman.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:58:00 AM



Badaunt said...

You have no RSS feed? I can't find it, and Bloglines can't, either.

(Feedburner can help.)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:02:00 AM



Doris said...

Britmum Thanks, but you know, I am going to take it more carefully and slowly this time. Which in the scheme of things is no big deal and is just a head thing!

Chandira Enjoy your lunches! Meanwhile, I'm sorry you have to go back to work afterwards... at least I get that part of the experience and end up swanning round the shops. LOL at chocolate flavoured broccoli but have to say that I love broccoli and I love chocolate and am happy to have them separate. As for those calories - what calories. Any calories in chocolate can be weighed up against the positive stuff in chocs ;-)

Steg :-)

Badaunt What exciting train journeys. I'd love to do the Japanese trains just for the act of traveling.... with those views of the mountains and I understand the trains are fast and efficient. As for the RSS feed I'm afraid that is part of my stealth mode and I've switched off everything! Sort of still hiding out! :-)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:51:00 AM



Badaunt said...

Does that mean you don't want to be blogrolled? I'll only add you to the list with your permission.

(And if I do add you, you'll get another two hits a year, probably. Brace yourself!)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:10:00 PM



Chandira said...

Doris, I also think chocolate calories don't count if your friends eat some with you, for some reason. Or if it's a birthday, Christmas, Easter, or Sunday. ;-)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:20:00 PM



Doris said...

Badaunt I am utterly honoured that you have looked out for me :-) Even if it is just the once this year!

Chandira Oh yes, absolutely! :-)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:39:00 PM


Pookie65 said...

Can I be a Lad who Lunches? There is a group of 12+ of us who go to dinner each Tuesday evening. It's nice being a part of "something".

Seeing as T and I are the youngest members of the group, which I affectionately refer to as the Old Gay Men's Dinner group, I remain faithful to my mantra: Keep your friends older and heavier and you'll always be the youngest and thinnest! They really are a wonderful group of guys and very positive role models. Some of these couples have been together over 30 years.

Enjoy your lunches, dear! You deserve it.

Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:44:00 AM

No comments: