Tuesday 26 September 2006

Long distance trains

I've always loved the smell of diesel. Ever since the days of the boat train at Victoria station it has held a place in my soul. As you walk down the platform, alongside the diesel engine turning over with a noisy hum, the smell of diesel brings anticipation. New adventures, new experiences and maybe new people to meet along the way. Or maybe a return to the arms of loved ones, or even just home to a bed you know and things being in their familiar place.

After a more than wonderful weekend away with precious friends I have returned home again. The fast train zooming across countryside stopping only a few times. Absence has certainly made the heart grow fonder as I throw myself into the arms of Mr Doris meeting me at the station. Both the children are home and both give me the loveliest of smiles hello. Like I am someone special.

I sure love those big diesel trains standing at the platforms revving up ready to go. Taking me to beyond and then back home again. Thank you.


Original Comments:

Britmum said...
That was such a nice post. I always liked going on the trains for a special day out.

Take care xx
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:17:00 PM
Stegbeetle said...
"both give me the loveliest of smiles hello. Like I am someone special."

But you are someone special - you're Mum. How much more special do you want?
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:18:00 PM
jane said...
What a nice homecoming for you. I'm glad you had a good time with friends & had an enjoyable train ride.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:38:00 AM

Gerald Ford said...
Doris, if you ever can, please take the Bullet Train in Japan. It's an amazing ride you'll never forget. You're zooming along at incredible speeds, but the ride is incredibly smooth, quiet, and the food's good too!

I took it with my wife in Winter, and we passed Mt. Fuji in a deep snow-fall.

Unforgetable.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:06:00 AM
Atyllah said...
Isn't it amazing how evocative the sense of smell can be.

Loved these lines: "New adventures, new experiences and maybe new people to meet along the way. Or maybe a return to the arms of loved ones, or even just home to a bed you know and things being in their familiar place." Hmm-mmm, that's what travel is all about.
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:05:00 PM

Anji said...
I like going on trains but I don't like oily smells. What a lovely welcome home you had.
Friday, September 29, 2006 3:04:00 PM

Chandira said...
:-) Glad you had a good time away. Getting home again is so nice though, I always love that part. I'm more of a homebody than I realised in the last few years.
No kids, but the cat always lets me know how happy (or hungry!) she is when I get home!

P.S. I still have your email about the Mercury thing, I'll get to it! Glad your travels went smoothly this time.
Friday, September 29, 2006 4:18:00 PM
neutron said...
Oh Doris, you have struck a nerve with me there! I have a deep-seated pretty embarrassing fascination with train travel that no amount of easyjet cheap flights or motorway tootling can budge. Give e the countryside flashing by outside a train windonw any day...diddly -dum...diddly-dum...diddly-diddly-diddly -dum....ahhhhhhhhh
Friday, September 29, 2006 11:28:00 PM

No comments: