Wednesday 23 August 2006

Vine tomatoes


Curious thing vine tomatoes. It costs more than twice the price to buy the tomatoes still connected to bits of the vine. You can't eat this greenery (I don't think) and yet it is added to the weight of what you are buying.

One would have thought there were more costs involved in stripping the tomatoes completely of its shrubbery.

Vine tomatoes certainly smell and taste nicer. Now why is that? I don't think they are especially a different breed.


PS.
Following Cheryl's comment I did a Google and found:
  1. it is a fruit "because it is a ripened mature ovary containing seed" but then explains why it is a vegetable! Tomato Debate
  2. the names of the different types as well as a clear explanation of vine tomatoes Cooks Thesaurus
  3. an economic discussion of why vine tomatoes cost more via reference to the phallic nature of the vine Vine is Money and then moving on to the cost of dry cleaning!



Original Comments:

Cheryl said...

Maybe because they were ripened on the vine and not pulled off weeks ago when they were solid and green and transported half way round the world or put into bulk storage in the mean time?
At a guess.

I bet Ally would know why...

:-)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:58:00 PM

doris said...

Oh dear, that seems quite plausible and obvious. My ignorance is showing! Maybe I should google...

:-D

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:05:00 PM

Ghone said...

I do so love the smell of vine tomatoes. That and geraniums.
Takes me right back to being 8 years old and standing in my late grandfather's greenhouse.

Ah...

Still, nostalgia's not what it used to be!

PS. Welcome back!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:38:00 PM

Ghone said...

Oh, and can we expect more traveller's tales. So loved the below!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:39:00 PM

Britmum said...

I am not fond of toms but that could be because I have been knowto buy the ones that have travelled half way round the world. LOL Maybe I will pay the extra and try the vine ones.

Take care xx

Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:48:00 PM

ChelseaFCChick said...

My entire family are mad about growing their own tomatoes and all different kinds as well.

I'm the black sheep of the family though, I can't stand them (whether their home grown, on the vine, off the vine or flown half way around the world)! :)

Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:08:00 PM

Gerald Ford said...

Ach! I knew there was a conspiracy involved. :p

Friday, August 25, 2006 5:31:00 AM

The Elusive Loo said...

I think they add crack cocaine to them...

...well, perhaps not. I've got some tomatoes growing in the garden at the minute. Homegrown tommies taste the greatest!

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:59:00 PM

decrepitoldfool said...

The most comments I ever got was a post about tomatoes. People must really care a lot about them. If I write about Rwandan genocide, maybe 1 comment. Tomatoes? 22 comments.

Saturday, September 02, 2006 5:51:00 PM

doris said...

Tomato posts, like tomatoes, are rather yielding. Easy to get along with and make comment about unlike the mega issues like Rwanda.

It is a sad reflection isn't it.

On the other hand, concerning your post regarding ugly tomatoes, maybe tomato growing and purchase can be seen as a metaphor on life? Or maybe we can be light hearted or serious about them and it is easier than the cruel issues in this world.

Saturday, September 02, 2006 6:47:00 PM

No comments: