Wednesday 28 June 2006

Terror nights

As an adult I have always consoled myself that I never leave my bedroom during my sleep walking and other nocturnal activities. I may sleep talk, change clothes, rearrange the room or jump out of bed but never leave the room.

Three times this last week I have had night terrors that had me jumping out of bed to avoid the spiders and other scary things. Something changed and I found myself fleeing to the other side of the house. Out the bedroom, down the hall and into the bathroom where I stood holding my beating chest and almost too terrified to return. Last night, aware in my sleep that I had this night terror the previous night, I told myself it was real this time and then jumped out of bed flinging bedclothes and seeking the bathroom. As I returned, quite awake, I felt the need to still search the bed for the offending creature.

Dear Mr Doris sleeps through it now and lets me get on with it. I feel guilty for not saving him and leaving him to the "monsters" and then there is a bit of me that wants him to rescue me. It is all so darned complicated if I think about it. Maybe by writing it down this particular night terror will go.

Or maybe there is something supernatural going on. Two other bloggers have had traumatic or disturbing nocturnal activities this week. But then I had that fantastical and wonderful dream in my last post.

And then I suppose there is the funny side that I don't wear anything to bed. I just hope daughter doesn't return late at night with friends in tow to see her mad mother screaming naked through the house. Oh, that would just be the icing on the cake!


Original Comments:

Britmum said...

That would indeed be the icing on the cake. LOL

I wonder why you have these terrors? My little guy had them when he was 3 but that what pre-schoolers do. Maybe it is something from your past that is bugging you. (sorry pun not intended). I hope it sorts its self out for you.

Take care xx

Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:23:00 AM

jane said...

I get creeped out when I think of bugs in bed. When Tarzan was gone last week, I was paranoid there was a snake in bed, because we once found a snake in our bedroom! Have you turned on the light when the bugs are supposedly in your room?
I wonder if it's not something you're working out internally.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:47:00 AM

doris said...

That's interesting Britmum, I hadn't thought of something "bugging me". Really - not in that direct context. Hmm.

Yes, I do put on the lights Jane. And sometimes I wake up in the morning to find the bedside lights have been on all night.

As for snakes, as a kid (we lived in Australia) I had a snake in my bedroom - I slept in the caravan annexe and a small grass snake was in there with me. Night after night I'd be terrified about what else was in the sleeping bag with me. You have my complete sympathy - we really don't have anything to be scared of in the UK.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:35:00 AM

Cheryl said...

I get bad dreams if I overheat. They are worse if I am really tired and dont wake just from the discomfort, because the back of my mind looks for reasons to feel hot and out of breath and usually paints a chase or a dream of being trapped.

Is this your first heatwave under a new duvet, or using a new brand of washing powder or conditioner? All it might be is something combining with the recent heat to make you feel very slightly itchy, but not itchy enough to wake up... you think?

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:49:00 AM

Badaunt said...

Or have you been reading something about bugs? I know my dreams and nightmares tend to be fairly transparent - I can generally tie them to something that happened or that I saw/read/heard of recently.

But I'm a fairly simple sort of person...

Sunday, July 09, 2006 12:34:00 PM

that girl said...

bit late on this one I know but I have the exact same night terrors- spiders inthe bed, people in the room, leaping out of bed and sprinting out of the room.
I've had them for years. I don't think it's unresolved issues. Do you sleep with your eyes open? I do and I think my brain 'plays' my nightmare over the backdrop of my room.

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:23:00 PM

doris said...

Hello Thatgirl

So you too! When I was younger I used to be fascinated by my night time activities and want to understand or believed it was a parallel universe. Now I just want a good night's sleep!

I don't know if I sleep with my eyes open. I certainly go to sleep with my eyes closed but my eyes do open and I am looking at my environment, even if, as you say, there is another layer on top. Sometimes my environment is completely re-written.

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:24:00 PM

No comments: