Friday 9 June 2006

1st Blogday


June 10th is my first blog birthday and I was going to have a virtual party and invite everyone. But the Blogger system has been upgrading so blogs are often down or you can't comment. This is not a good time to be issuing invites and the like and could be considered a damp squib but never mind, ditch the party this year and onwards and upwards. I'll happily party for us all :-)

I have been thinking of what blogging has done for me:

  • Exercised my creative juices

  • Allowed me to express myself in a myriad of ways from writing to adapting graphics and to plain silliness

  • Made me realise I can be a bit of a pompous ass at times

  • Demons from my past have been taken out the cupboard, given a good shake out and thrown away

  • I have felt a connection with others I have never met

  • Others have taken the time to read snippets from my life and given me feedback and often a new angle and understanding and sometimes an overdue hug

  • Times I have laughed and times I have cried

  • The chance to enter into discussions with others I may never have had the chance to do so

  • To be able to write anonymously so I am free to say what I like (except that a few people know who I am and I am glad they can keep in touch with some of my life)

  • I can share the good times, the successes and achievements

  • I can share the difficult times and feel like people care

  • It has helped my confidence in myself and improved my writing skills

  • I have learned so much

  • It has been a positive distraction filling my hours with worthwhile activity

  • It has been a negative distraction filling my hours with trivia when I should be getting on with other stuff

  • It is a scratchpad where I can play and be as weird as I like

  • It is a place to just be

In the time I have been blogging some have come and gone. I have wondered what happened to them and whether one day it will have served its purpose and I'll be gone too. I have become an avid reader of many blogs and then I move on.... it's just the way it is otherwise we'd do nothing but live our lives through other people's blogs. I could have gotten hung up on the guilt as well as the worry that certain others no longer read my blog but that is something else to learn to let go. Blogging has certainly been an interesting journey and one I wouldn't have missed.

Thank you to everyone for being who you are and sharing this experience.


Original Comments:

jane said...

Happy Blirthday, Doris! I'm so glad to be the 1st one to comment. It's been a wonderful year knowing you. I actually think we met on June 13, 2005. But I'm not positive.
From the get-go, you've always been so confident in your writing. I admire that about you.
So, here's to many more years of fun & touching moments. I am so thankful we met.

Friday, June 09, 2006 8:13:00 AM

doris said...

June 13 eh? I can't believe I was such a cheeky monkey being so confident about whatever it was back then! LOL

And we have certainly had our moments over the year.

Thank you for being a great friend :-)

Friday, June 09, 2006 8:34:00 AM

Stegbeetle said...

Happy Blirthday for tomorrow! It's been a privilege to tag along and read your thoughts.
I'll try to remember June 10th but it'll be difficult - you never look any older! ;)

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:13:00 AM

doris said...

Thank you Steggers! Flattery will get you everywhere. (Also once said by Mae West)

Friday, June 09, 2006 9:38:00 AM

Ally said...

Happy blogday!

Friday, June 09, 2006 10:13:00 AM

doris said...

Thanks Ally! :-)

Friday, June 09, 2006 10:43:00 AM

Shelly said...

Congrats on the Blogday! I might not comment much, but I am reading. :)

Friday, June 09, 2006 2:47:00 PM

Britmum said...

Happy blogg birthday lovey. I have enjoyed reading your blog and you are a superb writer.

Take care and heres to many more blog birthdays.

Take care xx

Friday, June 09, 2006 4:02:00 PM

doris said...

You know it is a strange thing Shelly, I almost don't expect anyone else reads except those that comment but then I do it often enough so no reason for others not to do the same. Thank you for saying - and you know you were one of the first blogs I read!

You are such a sweetie Britmum - thanks :-) It won't be long before you have your blirthday!

Friday, June 09, 2006 4:39:00 PM

Jo said...

Doris - happy birthday! You've become a great blogmate, I always look forward to what you have to say, you write evocatively and wittily, and you've been a really good friend to me :-)

Here's to another year of blogging!

Friday, June 09, 2006 7:50:00 PM

doris said...

Thank you Jo! Perhaps you wouldn't be surprised to know that I also look forward to your posts and comments and even enjoy reading them on other people's blogs!

Who knows what the future brings and I look forward to your blog anniversary :-D

Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:41:00 AM

Badaunt said...

Happy blog birthday! I remember finding you - via Cheryl. How long ago was that? I can't remember... but I remember being happy to add you to my reading list.

And I've been a happy and engrossed reader ever since.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 2:17:00 PM

rashbre said...

Cripes. A year of blogging. I had a similar moment in May. And I'd wondered whether I'd keep doing this!

Best regards, I shall superdunk a bourbon biscuit in your honour during Dr. Who, this evening.

And in the 231 days since we first fumbled early exchanges, I notice the genuine formation of the bourbon tabernacle choir and also a whole internet probe into whether penguins are bourbons in disguise, trying to avoid the more obvious foms of bourbonnery.

rashbre

Saturday, June 10, 2006 6:06:00 PM

birdychirp said...

Happy Birthday! Can't believe its only been a year...

Saturday, June 10, 2006 10:44:00 PM

Ghone said...

My, it has been a busy year for us bloggers hasn't it. My blogday last month and now yours!

Thank you so much for your kind words on my photographs. What started out as a bit of fun is starting to pick up for me now - 3 weddings and 5 commisions in the last 6 months.

As Shelly said, might not comment much, but always enjoy it when your thoughts appear on my screen.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 10:56:00 PM

Gerald Ford said...

Happy Blogirthday Doris!

You should be proud of yourself. Most blogs fail within a few and are full of useless drivel anyways. ;)

Sunday, June 11, 2006 4:26:00 AM

Neutron said...

Happy Blogday to you..etc! And many happy reblogs.
I have enjoyed hearing from you and reading your posts over the year.
I am only jealous that you get loads more comments than I do!! :((

Sunday, June 11, 2006 7:35:00 AM

doris said...

I have always been honoured by your presence Badaunt. And I used to read you before I became a blogger.... over at Madbaggage's place. I was so in awe of everyone then! LOL and now I'm a flippertygip!

Rashbre - that long ago?! I know it was via Michele's and you so cracked me up with your bourbon exploits. BTW - I am not sure what dunking was done during Dr Who last night.... this story line was just to scary for little ole me.

Thank you Birdychirp - I have really enjoyed the discussions on your blog on really important issues. Not the usual vacuous me, me, me all the time (like me!) :-D

Ghone - It is really great to hear how a business is picking up as a result.... but then if you are a great photographer and have a passion and so obviously enjoy it then it comes across. Congrats on everything at your end :-)

Oooo thank you Gerald Ford. I am honoured once again :-D

Thank you as well Neutron but you know my comments figures are just an illusion ! I'm often the one filling up my own comments section... why, sometimes I even kick off the comments with my own. It's a great ploy. And then, I am not so good these days but I always used to reply to every single comment and that bumps up numbers and "looks inviting" for others to say owt. Now, I am jealous of me ole mate Jane Loves Tarzan because she ALWAYS gets loads more comments than I do and doesn't have to do any of my ploys. ;-)

Sunday, June 11, 2006 8:48:00 AM

MrsDoF said...

Happy Blog Birthday!
A nice coincidence that it happens on my own body birthday of June 10. And along with your own Prince Phillip's big day. I'll have to look up some trivia to find out what year old he is.

I love your list of what your blog has done for you. This use of the Internet does bring on some interesting situations.
~~love and Huggs, Diane

Sunday, June 11, 2006 5:10:00 PM

hellonheels said...

Happy Late Blogging Birthday Doris. I'm so very glad that our paths have crossed : ) Even if I am a day late and a dollar short LOL.

Monday, June 12, 2006 11:19:00 PM

Annie said...

Happy Blog Birthday! I've been blogging on and off and in various places for about four years, and I don't know what I'd do without it. For me it was a sort of natural progression from keeping a diary. I really enjoy reading your blog, and hope you'll have many more blog birthdays.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:47:00 AM

Annie said...

Just saw my link in your blogroll! Cheeky, but I take your point! I wish I'd kept count of all the different blogs I've had. Must be at least thirty!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:51:00 AM

Anji said...

Late as usual. Happy blogbirthday and many more!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:54:00 PM

Steve said...

Happy Blogday Doris, its been a real pleasure reading your blog,

I must also confess to reading a lot and not commenting as much as I possibly should but there are so many good blogs and so little time

Steve x

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:39:00 PM

durante vita said...

A celebration for 1st Blogday. That is a great idea! I'll have to remember to do something of the sort.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:50:00 AM

Cindy said...

Happy Blog Birthday!!

Friday, June 16, 2006 6:54:00 AM

Astryngia said...

Happy Blogday - late as usual! I followed my leader and look where it led! ;-) Hugs.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 12:13:00 AM

Chandira said...

Happy Blog-birthday! I'm up for my 2nd on about June 25th, I think. I'll have to take a look.

Love your list!

Monday, June 19, 2006 6:04:00 AM

Cheryl said...

My late but genuine congratulations.
(I have a good excuse, honest!)

Having known you from the offset I can honestly say it doesn't feel like a year yet.
Keep on blogging!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 1:21:00 PM

No comments: