Monday 3 April 2006

A new chapter

In January of this year a door opened in my life. A door to the past that revolves around to I don't know where. Maybe back to where I am but I suspect I will come out someplace different. And since January I've been in this revolving door. Not trapped but on a journey of discovery that has bounced me and pushed me and shoved me onwards.

It's about my childhood. About the characters in my life. Who I am and how I operate. It's been exhilarating and mind blowing and yet I don't think I've changed that much but somewhere in me there is an essence that has been enriched.

Tomorrow begins a new chapter. Tomorrow I will be meeting family I have not known or seen since childhood. Somehow they seem to matter a lot to me and incredibly they have found the wherewithall to travel around the world to meet me and our family. I almost cry at the thought of how wonderful they are to have done this. For twenty five years my cousin has tried to find me and then gave it up as a lost cause about six years ago - just when I started looking for her family. This January one of her family found one of my messages on a genealogy board. That's when the door opened.

I may be gone a while!


Original Comments:

Britmum said...
Doris good luck to you. I am so happy for you and you deserve the best.

Take care

Catherine
Monday, April 03, 2006 8:23:00 PM
Stegbeetle said...
Hope all goes well for you Doris!
Monday, April 03, 2006 10:59:00 PM
ChelseaFCChick said...
Good luck, as stegbeetle said I hope it all goes well for you!
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:02:00 AM
Ally said...
Good luck Doris, I hope it all goes well.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:48:00 AM
Cheryl said...
HUGE HUGS!!!!!!
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:30:00 PM
doris said...
Thank you all (((Hugs)))

Day 1 Wow! Wow! Wow!

Driving there the sun was shining and the cherry blossom had blossomed. Tears pricked my eyes in anticipation. And then it was everything and more. A very long day and quite emotional in places. Only Day 1 and not a wasted moment :-)
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:35:00 PM
doris said...
Day 2 The never-ending wonderful day.

Family history chats; saunter into town; relaxing in a bar; chatting whilst cooking dinner; after dinner games with Mr Doris and the kids all hooting with laughter; bed at midnight. Bliss.
Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:00:00 AM
Cheryl said...
Came back to ask how it was going - I see the answers are here already!
Wonderful!
Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:33:00 AM
Stegbeetle said...
EXCELLENT!
Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:12:00 AM
Pookie65 said...
Wishing you a beautiful reunion! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Huggers!

Pookie
Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:59:00 PM
doris said...
Thank you again. Thank you for caring :-)

Day 3 Emotions and depth.

Sightseeing and gadding about as a backdrop to the real business of chatting. Being together and sharing the tears of my cousin for her lost father and the words and memories so long unspoken. Acknowledging that we have so much in common as people and in what we like and how we are. Tomorrow we become a crowd as Aunty joins us. I reckon that'd be OK. Different but OK.

I just found out that my brother is to have an op to remove an unknown facial tumour. There is a small chance it is cancerous but it is a case of get it out and question it afterwards. I've been through the cancer scare thing with my brother before. I shan't start panicking this time.

Looks like the engine is in third gear and revving up. Seat belts are firmly on.
Thursday, April 06, 2006 10:52:00 PM
jane said...
I was here yesterday & tried to comment, but Blogger was screwy. I'm a firm believer that new doors open for reasons & this is a good example of that theory. I'm so jazzed for you that your cousin wanted to find you as much as you did she. Like Britmum says, you do deserve the best.

I just read your updates in comments & am glad things are going so well.
Thursday, April 06, 2006 11:10:00 PM
ella m. said...
Good luck (though it sounds like it will go excellently)!

I'll look forward to some joyous news upon your return. :D
Friday, April 07, 2006 2:26:00 PM
hellonheels said...
Good Luck I am wishing you the best and much happiness!
Friday, April 07, 2006 5:08:00 PM
doris said...
Day 4 And then Aunty came too.

Sightseeing and getting to know Aunty. All very nice indeed.

Today we set off and start with the challenging family - but I'm sure it will be brilliant.
Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:40:00 AM
marina said...
Be safe and all the best :)
Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:22:00 AM
Astryngia said...
Thinking of you. I love that way the baton was passed from cousin to you in order to finally bring the family together again. A field of energy at work which is greater than the sum of its parts. Magnificent.
Saturday, April 08, 2006 1:46:00 PM
Britmum said...
So glad that it is all being wonderful for you.

Take care

Catherine
Saturday, April 08, 2006 2:58:00 PM
Astryngia said...
I hope it is all continuing to be wunnerful - no heartache, well - only the good kind.
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 7:02:00 PM
Curly K said...
Doris, delighted to hear things are going well. Enjoy the new found family and joys.

Will keep your brother and your family in my thoughts till the good news arrives. Been through scary times with my brother too, so know what it's like.

Sorry I haven't been logging on for a while; got a useless gallbladder our and now desperately trying to catch up with my fav six or seven blogs.
Friday, April 14, 2006 2:31:00 AM

No comments: