Tuesday 28 March 2006

Out of nowhere

One minute you are driving along minding your own business and the next a car zooms out of nowhere across your path on a main road to get to a side road. A combination of slamming on my brakes and taking evasive action we somehow dance in the middle of the road with our cars not touching once but missing by a whisker and then I slam into the kerb and then straighten up and pull over.

In that moment of realisation that life had suddenly careered out of control and I was at the steering wheel having to salvage things, an accident 7 years before flashes before my eyes. It was an accident in reverse with a car pulling out from my left but I was on a motorbike. I took the full force of the impact and know what it is like to have a car crunch into my thigh. My leathers and lead boots protected my bones and the bike and I were forced onto the other side of the road into the oncoming traffic. Here I was this afternoon reliving it in a second and thinking here we go again but from the other side.

I was so shook up I stopped on the side of the road and put on my hazard lights and didn't know whether I wanted to cry or bawl. I did neither. The driver of the other car came running over ever so apologetic. No point being angry with the other driver because there for the grace of God go I or anyone else. It was strange to once again have someone apologise profusely. The apology helps and as our cars didn't actually touch there was no need to get insurance details.

Finally I resumed my journey with the clunking realisation of a tyre flattened by the impact with the kerb. It started to rain and I was feeling shook up still so I called the AA to come earn their membership fee and change the tyre even though I know under other circumstances I could just as easily do it myself. Good job I did as the AA guy pointed out the dangerous state that tyre had been in and was close to a blow-out if I had been doing speed on the motorway. Next week I expect to be doing a lot of motorway driving and may not have realised that tyre was suspect. So there was definitely a golden lining in this mishap and makes me feel better. That maybe this happened for a reason.

Cheryl wrote about Eclipse Week this week and in the comments Zilla had mentioned the heightened chance of accidents. I just hope that that was our accident for the family and no more. Strange thing is that my stars must have some special planetary configuration which says that the front passenger side of the car is implicated. Just last week some so-and-so smashed through that window and stole the front of our car stereo. They couldn't screwdriver the rest of it out and left with nothing else. They didn't even take the classical CDs! And now the wheel on that side.

Fingers crossed that this is it. And in some bizarre way I should be thankful for the accident today.


Original Comments:

Ally said...
I think that's a really good way to look at it; what if you *had* had a blow-out at speed. I am a firm believer in the (what someone I used to know called the 'moral moving force' in the) universe looking after us; just sometimes it doesn't do it in very obvious ways :).
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:29:00 PM
jane said...
I haven't read Cheryl's article yet about 'eclipse week' but have google'd 'mercury retrograde' which was a astrological period we just went thru. It pretty much caused everything to be discomboobulated.
As for your car, my gosh, it sure does sound like the flat tire was indeed a blessing, considering what could have been.
I can only imagine how shaken up you must've been with a flashback of your prior accident.
I'm just glad you are safe.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:39:00 PM
Cheryl said...
Wow. gulp.

And hugs.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:55:00 PM
MrsDoF said...
Your Guardian Angels are doing overtime duty. Thank goodness you are okay and the repairs can be done.

Last week I took our car in for regular check-up and a tire new just last Fall was found to be defective and was replaced under warrantee.

My grandma always said 'everything happens for a reason in God's time' and I am learning she was right.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 11:07:00 PM
Joe said...
Oh Doris...how horrid :-(

Still, you're OK...

I have a theory that everybody has in their life a certain number of incidents like this predestined. If they turn out to be benign and you walk away like this, then you're doing OK.

Hugs, tho...
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:25:00 AM
Britmum said...
I truly beleive that all things happen for a reason. I feel that I can say this as I have been there first hand. I think that we are all dealt our cards and what will be will be.

I am so glad that you were o.k. Doris and like you said it happened for a reason.

Take care of yourself sweetie.

xoxo
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:39:00 AM
hellonheels said...
I am so glad your ok. I would have been so shook up I probably wouldn't have been able to drive home. I'm glad you found out about that tire also!
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:17:00 AM
ChelseaFCChick said...
Glad to hear your ok! I agree that it is best to see the positive outcome of having avoided a blowout at speed.

We have just witnessed the eclipse from here in Cyprus, which although not quite total was very impressive! Touch wood it hasn't affected us in terms of any accidents yet but I have heard stories in the past connecting eclipses and a heightened chance of accidents.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:12:00 PM
ella m. said...
Ouch :( I'm glad you're okay :)
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:26:00 PM
Anji said...
You're safe now and that's what matters. It was nice of the other person to come and apologise, it doesn't happen often nowadays.
Thursday, March 30, 2006 1:10:00 PM
Growing Up said...
You get some assholes on the road these days. They don't care about anybody else but themselves
Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:20:00 PM
Writer Mom said...
Jeepers! Glad you're Okay, as well. And now I'm thinking I need to be more aware of the cosmic goings ons.
Here I'd been anticipating the Cheryl March 29th switch date to happier events. But it usually takes some sort of shake-up, doesn't it? To awaken out of the old, and prepare for the new.
Glad I stopped in today.
We shall be careful around here.
Saturday, April 01, 2006 9:00:00 PM
Astryngia said...
Wow! Someone definitely wanted you to check out that side of your car. You have your own Guardian Angel! Glad you were listening!
Saturday, April 01, 2006 11:12:00 PM

No comments: