Monday 13 March 2006

He cooks through paper

We have an induction hob in our new kitchen. It is black glass, touch controls and work by magnetism. So we have had to get rid of all our old pans for any pan that is magnetic, which are very few. The hob itself does not produce any heat and will only get warm because the contents in the pan have gotten hot and conduct back onto the glass. It is the magnetism that heats the food (I think!). Induction is more efficient and faster than gas. It is like magic cooking on it. Well, quite frankly, cooking on a sheet of glass is pretty amazing after a manky old gas cooker.

Mr Doris has an interesting way of cooking now. He lays sheets of kitchen roll on the hob and then places the pan to cook on top of the paper. The paper doesn't burn and soaks up any spitting or drips from the cooking. At the end of cooking he throws away the paper leaving a clean hob. It is an extremely bizarre way of cooking that I feel the need to note it here. I take my hat off to him for creativity but not sure that I can feel comfortable cooking through paper.


I've lost half a stone over the last few months and apart from a tummy don't have a lot of meat on me. I was out on a dry ski slope this afternoon and evening for over three hours for a kids birthday party. I took photos and didn't take part. I froze. My thigh bones are still cold and hope I don't get ill.



I was tiling our kitchen today. It is obscenely over the top. But I love it. The radio was playing some oldies and the D.I.V.O.R.C.E. song came on... I'd never listened to that one properly before. Never realised they were spelling out the words because of the five year old son in the song and not wanting to say such stuff in front of him. Over the years I'm not sure what I thought they were up to in that song spelling out the words and kept chuckling at my ignorance all this time.


Original Comments:

Cheryl said...
Hehe
Next he'll be doing stir fry on baking paper, without the saucepan......

Off to google those lyrics - do you remember (Billy Connolly's?)spoof version about the D-O-G and the V-E-T?
Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:04:00 AM
doris said...
As long as the paper had magnetic qualities to conduct the heat then yes!

I don't remember the contents of the spoof version but do remember it was funny. Maybe when I hear it again I will know that one better than the original.
Sunday, March 05, 2006 10:37:00 AM
Carol said...
Good idea. Wish I could do that on my hob - save me cleaning it!
Sunday, March 05, 2006 1:11:00 PM
Britmum said...
Wow you sound all high tech in your house.

Plus you seem to have your husband well trained in keeping things clean. Awesome!! LOL

Take care
Sunday, March 05, 2006 1:43:00 PM
Milt Bogs said...
I'll have to check those hobs out - they sound good. Mind you I lile to have something that works when there's a power cut.
Sunday, March 05, 2006 4:14:00 PM
Karen said...
I think Mr Doris should get an award for his ingenious cooking skills.
Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:37:00 PM
Writer Mom said...
This hob sounds fascinating. I had no idea such a thing exists. Your kitchen DOES sounds like something out of the future.

As for the song, does this mean you've reached that point everyone once spoke of? The, 'Someday, you'll look back on this time in your life and realize it was all for the best' point?
Sunday, March 05, 2006 6:47:00 PM
Badaunt said...
Is that hob thingy REALLY as good as gas? I mean, can you control the temperature instantly and in tiny increments, like you can with gas? After years of using gas I don't think I'd be able to cook with an ordinary electric stove, but I didn't know there were any alternatives.

(I'm glad to hear I'm not the only stick figure with a Tummy.)
Monday, March 06, 2006 4:20:00 AM
Jo said...
Are you sure it's magnetism Doris?! I thought it was something like convective heat, or light (or is that halogen?) or something.

Ours is an Aga. Took a while to get the hang of it, but now it's the beating, warm heart of the house, and when it goes out to be serviced once a year, it's like the whole house has 'died' for a bit. We couldn't live without it :-)

However, you do not want to know what our oil bills look like these days!
Monday, March 06, 2006 11:00:00 AM
birdychirp said...
We have an induction hob and love it - but the paper isn't necessary. With induction you actually CAN'T burn anything to the hob - sometimes hot spills dry but your wee metal scraper they provide puts paid to that!
Monday, March 06, 2006 7:38:00 PM
Le laquet said...
Hob sounds fantabulous!! I'd love me one of those!! And I know what you mean about the cold ... I don't think I've warmed up Saturday *brrr*
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:42:00 AM
Anji said...
I remember that D i v o r c e song. We used to do that, but our kids learnt to read (therfore spell) very quickly.

Mr Doris sound like a very useful husband indeed.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:31:00 AM
Voices in my Head said...
wow--and i thought my new flat glass electric was the absolute end! so easy to clean glass--but Mr. Doris's way sounds even easier! amazing.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:13:00 AM

No comments: