Wednesday 22 February 2006

Gadget heaven

We've been giggling again. This time Mr Doris has excelled himself on the gadget front. It started off yesterday when the new kitchen bin arrived from the courier. He was so fed up with the kids dripping the scrapings from their dinner plates onto the flip-top bin lid and them never wiping it off and it going gunky that he resorted to a Nastech Autobin. He managed to locate it a price much less than usual but still waaaay high for a bin. It is all gleaming stainless steel and as you approach it with anything a light sensor notes you and opens the lid pronto. It is like a beast sitting in the kitchen waiting to chat to you as you go near. If you ever know anyone who has everything then this is the thing for them. Forget boys toys and fast cars. What you want is an auto bin!

The downside is that it is narrower than a dinner plate and I wonder if the kids will now miss the hole and drip down the sides?

Today the second kitchen surprise arrived - it seems it is not enough to have a stonking new kitchen (but by jove we have worked hard on the kitchen and done a lot of the work ourselves). I knew he had wanted a projection clock for the kitchen wall. Either that or one of those glorious huge railway clocks. I had no idea what the package was when I opened it as it looked like some plastic coffee maker or kettle.... but when you pop it at the top of the cupboard and aim it towards the apex of our kitchen wall it just looks magnificent and extravagant and tickles us pink. What Mr Doris doesn't realise (but will now!) is that as a single parent living in London and not having two brass coins to rub together I used to walk past a very swish kitchen design shop and peer in the window with my urchins either in a pram or walking. They had a projection clock and I used to be spell-bound by it - they were very new back then. I never imagined I would one day have one.

This one is an analog clock in colour so you can see the hands and second hand going round. Our kitchen was looking fab (tho' not yet finished) but the clock really ties it all together and makes a focal point. I keep giggling about it all. The sheer delight and naughtiness of these gadgets. Bins that open and clocks that project on the wall. And we have a glass electric hob with no knobs to keep clean. We're in heaven!

Original Comments:

Ally said...
Oooh - a projection clock! B would lurve one of these - the whole lighting / projection thing is just up his jigger! Best of luck with the narrow bin :).
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:51:00 PM
Red Mum said...
It is comforting to hear about your window shopping in times gone by before Mr Doris. Gives me lots of hope as I can only gaze longingly at homey things.

Fingers crossed I am out of this flat by the summer.
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:10:00 PM
Cheryl said...
I can't even imagine - but wish I could.
Congratulations you flash, cosmopolitan kitchen-owner, you!

:-)
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:12:00 PM
Dr.John said...
Sorry you won't join the "loser's alliance". Thank's for the comment.
My kids couldn't hit a full sized garbage can that we sat right next to the table. They would never have hit one the size of a dinner plate.
We have a projection clock but it doesn't work well and it is in the bedroom.
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:25:00 PM
Curly K said...
Well, well, well, how times have changed for Doris and deservedly so! I'd never even heard about projection clocks till this post (am I really, really sad?) but whey, hey, a funky bin and a cool clock - you go girl!

Redmum: you will get out of the flat. Its amazing how quickly things turn around; one day I was in a sad house-share in Dublin (crap house, great room-mates) and the next I was down the country with my own house (all on a single wage) - what is meant for you, never goes by you! (hopefully, I presume my equivalent to Mr. Doris, is out there: somewhere...)
Thursday, February 23, 2006 12:52:00 AM
hellonheels said...
I want one of those!
Thursday, February 23, 2006 2:17:00 AM
ella m. said...
An auto open trash can? That would probably scare the crap out of me when I stumble into the kitchen half asleep and wanting a cookie in the middle of the night.
Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:59:00 AM
Badaunt said...
I've seen those projecting wall clocks, too. The problem is that you need a big enough house that you have wall space to project it onto... our walls are all either sliding doors or blocked by furniture.

But I want that rubbish bin. I want to be able to walk up to it and say,

"Say AHHHH!"

- and be obeyed.
Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:25:00 AM
Z said...
Stainless steel! Have you any idea how hard it is to keep shiny? I went stainless steel mad once.
Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:51:00 AM
Snoo said...
Gadgets - mmmmm
Nice one!
Thursday, February 23, 2006 1:01:00 PM
Jo said...
You're just gadgetgirl at heart eh? Thereagain, I think there must be some gadegetgirl in all female bloggers because they obviously get a buzz out of all that virtual gadgetry, funky HTML etc etc.

I'd like a projection clock too! But probably for the bedroom (have you noticed that all clock radios look absolutely terrible, have been shopping for one recently after a knob fell off the old one). But as I wear lenses and can't see more than about 9 inches without them, all I would see in bed would be a spooky transluscent glow on the ceiling! Kind of like ectoplasm maybe.

As for the bin...cool...Don't expect the kids to get the food in though. Kids don't work like that. Always one jump ahead. I'd like to get one too - if only to have hours of kitchen comedy moments as the dog accidentally opened it!
Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:01:00 PM
Ghone said...
I so want that auto bin!!!

But Mrs Pig says I can't until I sell some more photos. Bah humbug!

She's no fun anymore...
Sunday, February 26, 2006 4:43:00 PM
Annie said...
I'm so envious! I really want a metal bin instead of my bog-standard plastic one. I'm hankering after a projection clock for my bedroom ceiling, as I can't see the wall clock without my glasses, and turning over often hurts. I'd love a station clock for my lounge, but the ceilings are so low that it would be out of proportion. I love buying 'house' stuff. My current fav. shop for it is TK Maxx.
Monday, February 27, 2006 11:14:00 AM

No comments: