Sunday 8 January 2006

Shedding skin disguise

Weird dream last night. One aspect: in order to evade the enemy we had to learn pretty darned quick, through thought processes alone, how to shed our skin. As the skin "magically" came off it had an effect on our bones which dematerialised them, we shrank in size and then became invisible. The whole process was quite quick and then we were able to move freely without being noticed. But "they" were onto us and there was still an element of fear. I understood we could put on our skins at any time without physically doing so.

I "learned": that our bones were not the solid structures I thought and if you change one element (the skin they are in) then they too are transformed; that our skin was nothing in the scheme of things and could be changed at will. The thought processes involved in shedding ones skin were akin to going into a deep meditation - something I used to be able to do (in real life!) anywhere, anytime within seconds.

It WAS a dream, but for some strange reason today I find myself trying to will my skin off to try it out!


Original Comments:

Cheryl said...

OK so to be brutal:
Once there was danger and you as you, felt threatened and unacceptable. So you learned to shrink and become invisible, but when that didn't work you learned to physically transform and appear to be something 'acceptable' instead.
Now you realise that chameleon training means you are capable of wearing many hats - of stepping right in to different roles - you have the gift of total focus because of your hiding practice, so a defence mechanism has become a strength that sets you apart.
And?


LOL - hope you can take that - I look forward to the other comments. What's intersting is the reference to 'we' - it seems you've never been/felt properly alone in this. :-)

In honour of this, gonna post my own dream cos you just broke it. I hope you can analyse!

Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:11:00 PM

Carol said...

OK. Well, Cheryl blew me right out of the water. Cool dream though. I'm gonna blog what I was gonna comment.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:56:00 PM

Cheryl said...

Tut
I was just going to say get over to Carol's Purple Dragon cos her theory rocks - trust me to forget the ethereal element. It opens up whole new possibilities of interpretation.

(You HAVE to read her post - I am so jealous!)

Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:19:00 PM

Carol said...

Blush. It wasn't a theory about the dream - the dream just reminded me of an experience I had. How 'up myself' am I?

Sunday, January 08, 2006 1:37:00 PM

doris said...

Well!

This is: Carol's experience

and this is Cheryl's dream from last night

and this is my flying dream from January 1996. Notice, it is January ... maybe I have more metaphysical dreams at this time of the year?

I've read Carol's experience and felt the need to reply here before delving into Cheryl's dream so that I can clear the slate. I can see it is going to be a bumpy ride ahead. BTW Cheryl, you have written some interesting food for thought and there just might be something of merit in what you have written!

I'd have to say that I hadn't thought any of that - I was still enjoying the idea of transforming. Hadn't thought about it being a "defence" mechanism in the psychological sense and yet it is so blinking obvious now that you mention it!

Sunday, January 08, 2006 3:10:00 PM

Badaunt said...

I love these kinds of weirdly compellingly real dreams, where impossible things become possible and even normal. I think the best one I had I blogged about, but I can't find it on this blog, so it's probably on my old one. It went like this:

In the dream I learned that we live not in one universe, but two. We don't notice this ordinarily, because these two universes are overlapping, and are, for all intents and purposes, the same. But they're not really the same, and there are places where the gap between them is a little bit wider than in most places. In those gaps, weird things happen that we can almost but not quite explain.

Also, humans evolved from two completely different species, but they evolved separately in these two universes and just happened to have evolved into the same thing. Except they are not quite the same, really, which is why occasionally you'll meet people who make you feel as though you come from a different planet. You can't understand them. You feel as though you should, but you just can't. They don't think like you do, and everything is just a wee bit 'off'. You have a hard time connecting with them.

In the dream all this made perfect sense, in the way that makes you wake up and say, "AHA! That explains EVERYTHING."

And it did, really. It was a lot more detailed than I've explained (but I didn't want to make my comment TOO much longer than your post) and was totally logical in a way that dreams usually aren't.

(And you can't analyse it, because it's all TRUE, and I'm going to start a new religion. It will be the Two Universes religion, and if you laugh at or criticize my religion I'll tell you off for being intolerant. So there!)

Sunday, January 08, 2006 5:25:00 PM

Cheryl said...

Sorry, Badaunt, come again?
I didn't understand you.....


Hahaha hehehehe hahaha :-D

Monday, January 09, 2006 12:12:00 AM

Jo said...

Well clearly a spiritual dimension here Doris :-)

The transience and impermanence of physical form. Escaping your fear by 'magically' (spiritually) shedding your outer form, the skin being the container which shapes and holds our physical bodies. But then going further by realising that your bones aren't solid either - you being fully released from physical form and/or able to shape and manage it? The meditative element touches on a heightened spiritual state too.

Obviously ;-)

Monday, January 09, 2006 9:07:00 AM

Milt Bogs said...

Our house is full of bits of skin Doris. Maybe I should collect it in a bucket instead of using the Dyson.

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:32:00 AM

ella m. said...

Perhaps I'm too literal, but I'm taking this as that our selves and thought patterns are not as fixed as we may think, that though letting go of old habits may make us feel scared and small, we can do it. That we are all capable of being the person we want to be...if we can overcome the fear of the transitional period.

Monday, January 09, 2006 2:07:00 PM

MattyD said...

At least I'm not the only one having weird dreams at the moment! My dreams over the last week or so have been some of the sketchiest I've ever had. Add to that, the fact that I keep managing to talk in my sleep and wake myself up (something I've never done before)...and I'm left really confused!

Hmmm...dreams...

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:23:00 AM

MattyD said...

oh and I tagged you for a little something Doris :)

Maybe you'll find it fun? :p

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:24:00 AM

Pookie65 said...

Each of has many layers. Some we share and may temporarily peel back for others to see. And then there are those that belong only to us. We'll keep that last layer or so for maybe one or two people in our entire lives to see what lies beneath and that's OK.

Without some layer of protection we'd be vulnerable to revealing what we must keep to ourselves. I truly believe it's best that way.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:28:00 PM

doris said...

Thank you for your various thoughts. I think I am currently going through yet another metamorphosis so will refer back here as I think there is much wisdom - and none of it is mine!!!

(Word verification was

pssstuup

which I just couldn't resist!)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:10:00 PM

Badaunt said...

Just popping back to tell Cheryl she is EXCOMMUNICATED.

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:27:00 PM

No comments: