Thursday 12 January 2006

Piffle

For Writer Mom...

Gran's on Bran Piffle and spice

Piffle means:

  • To talk or act feebly or futilely.
  • Something that does not have or make sense
  • Foolish or futile talk or ideas; nonsense.

I'm happy with any of these similar words:

balderdash, fiddle-faddle, hokum, meaninglessness, nonsense, nonsensicality, blabber, prattle, twaddle, gabble, gibberish

Qualifier:

This doesn't mean that anything I write is not true. Just that I do not pretend this is some heavy and serious political blog and sometimes I want to just be silly. I think I'm that! :-)


Original Comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh I do like twaddle.

And hokum,

and claptrap and hogwash!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:36:00 PM

Cheryl said...

Oooh
Forgot baloney!

:-D

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:16:00 PM

Jo said...

You've been watching that tv prog haven't you? I've wanted to but it's always clashed with something that The Governess of The Remote needs (needs not wants) to watch...

A few favourite words include:

Apostolic
Plinth
Laminate

Why? Who knows...

Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:32:00 PM

Writer Mom said...

Thanks, Doris!

And now that I've opened up my Webster's, I see that my dictionary gives the same definition.
Incredible. I am one lazy American.
Guess I was hoping it was UK slang for kinky.
Ah, well.
(gotta go change my description on my blogroll for you now.)

Friday, January 13, 2006 3:36:00 AM

doris said...

LOL I love twaddle too.

I find Apostolic too scary - too high church. Plinth?!!! I wonder what level your mind is at Jo? That's cos I think of kitchen unit plinths rather than great marble edifices for statues! And laminate? Have you just done up your kitchen?!

Cool Writermom! I didn't realise you had done the description thingy. They are like a secret treat to read :-)

Now about the kinky thing.... I am honoured. Thank you, thank you! :-)

Ha-ha!

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:11:00 AM

Anji said...

I like twaddle, but my favourite of all time is Bullshit (sorry)

Friday, January 13, 2006 10:22:00 AM

No comments: