Monday 12 December 2005

Plaiting son's hair

Yesterday I finally plaited my son's hair for the first time ever in 11 years. It took two hours to comb out his matted hair and a further three to actually plait it. He wants his hair long but he is not prepared to comb it at least daily to maintain it. In fact, he has never stood or sat still long enough to have his hair maintained, not even combed. So each time we got to the heavily matted stage I would just cut the lot off. It suited me, it suited him and avoided unnecessary arguments. Goodness knows what other mothers thought of me, I just went for the path of least resistance!

This last year he has taken pride in having a large afro. He still didn't maintain it but each time I had combed it out (about quarterly!) a few days would follow when he would preen himself, and then it gets too tough. Son has the self-esteem of a giant and I can only admire his aplomb and confidence about himself. He is gentle and sensitive but yet seems to 'know' that he is cool and gorgeous. Many people compliment him on his eyes and he has a million watt smile. He knows he can wrap adults around his finger.

He is also a complete pain in the backside. He can take five minutes saying "yes" or "no" because he has to give you first the whys and wherefores and still not give a straight answer. He manipulates language like a first class lawyer and can be really frustrating.

Anyway, he finally let me plait his hair despite his previous protestations and is now loving it. He says that he can pull his hair (plaits) behind his ear and has always wanted to do that. This morning he had wobbly neck syndrome as he shook his head and plaits round stating "Because you are worth it" a la Loreal style! Cheeky so and so.


Original Comments:

Carol said...

Nice compromise! Looking good, son of Doris :-)

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:05:00 PM

Minerva said...

Hey cool kid...
Next he will want it all cut off with tramlines...*grin*

Minerva

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:27:00 PM

Jo said...

Is this his hair Doris? It looks so good. I'd definitely like hair like that!

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:45:00 PM

dog1net said...

What a 'do. What incredible patience on your part, no pun intended. I wish I had hair like that.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:15:00 AM

Rain said...

wow, he has nice shiny hair!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:21:00 AM

Milt Bogs said...

Doris - The pain will kick in by the morning.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:55:00 AM

ME Strauss said...

That was so excellent to read about. Thanks for sharing it.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 4:03:00 AM

doris said...

Carol I was quite pleased with it and that at last he is converted to having plaits.

Minerva He definitely doesn't want it cut off and is purposefully bucking the trend for a close cut. I reckon that almost singlehandedly he will bring huge afros back in to fashion!

Jo Definitely a pic of my son and his hair :-) My husband's family with it's Jewish ancestry has this bubbly curls in it but they are blonde! Sadly my dear Mr Doris didn't get them and I would love to have had interesting hair rather than dead straight. (Dearest Mr Doris is not son's biological father!)

Dog1Net LOL It certainly was a to-do :-)

Rain I didn't think it would ever be shiny again with all the mattedness to deal with. Also, there is a flash light in play and this makes it look shinier than it is - but it is pretty good.

Milt It is not tight enough to cause any pain. So far, so good :-)

Me Strauss Funny the things we decide to share on our blogs. :-)

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:38:00 AM

Host of Spirits said...

Hi Doris,

I've tagged you for a meme on wishes and fantasies. Come on over to my place to take a look

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 12:25:00 PM

Z said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Lucky boy. No wonder he thinks he's gorgeous.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 3:21:00 PM

Karen said...

I think your son's hair looks great - after all he's worth it.....

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:52:00 PM

Ally said...

Yes, lovely. I wouldn't kill for hair like that, but I might seriously wound :).

Although you may want to pass on the tale told by a friend of mine who decided it was time to cut it all off for good when he woke up at the age of thirty or so and found a couple of plaits lying beside him on his pillow like 'little dead mice' :).

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:16:00 AM

jane said...

Looks very nice. Good job mom!

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:23:00 PM

Writer Mom said...

Can your son send me some of his confidence for Christmas? Not too much...just enough to fill out the toes in my stocking.
Thanks!

Saturday, December 17, 2005 1:49:00 AM

No comments: