Friday 30 December 2005

Doing it behind the radiator

We had a splendid Christmas. Just us and the kids and the germies. Mr Doris and the kids were ill mostly before and during and I have been down with the lurgies since. Still, it doesn't detract from it being a lovely time and the kids were well happy with their pressies. Except dear daughter will still not let me broach the subject of the Mooncup and she won't look at it as if it is something so disgusting. Give it time, I guess (and hope), but at least she so loved everything else.

With the germs it meant we have had little actual contact with anyone else which makes it a very different Christmas which I reckon added to it being special.

Come the Bank Holiday sales I'm there at the DIY store buying wallpaper and paint to finish off the upstairs hallway - which I've done despite feeling entirely under par. Oh why on earth did I leave it for so long. We have a Victorian house and I swear it grows with loving vibes each time we do some improvements. This time I used a "proper" 1800s thick embossed pattern paper which took up the multitude of sins on the plaster underneath and have now given it and the ceiling a lick of paint. I almost want to take a table and chair upstairs and have tea in the hall!

As for the radiator I must be so peculiar. It seems I am happy to start off the first length of paper going round an electric switch and cutting out round a door frame. I love challenges and it makes the job more interesting. For example, much more fun to get the wallpaper perfect behind the radiator - without taking the radiator off. Maybe it is an anal aspect to me, but I love to get it as neat behind the radiator as anywhere else that is visible. Light switches and plugs and odd corners are my forte it seems. I wouldn't want to make a career out of it, nor do it too often, but it is extremely satisfying and rewarding when I do.

It all looks so lovely and clean and wonderful now. Just a few minor details to sort out, a couple of the door frames to give the final coat of paint, hang a mirror and some pics and it is done. All those knocks, and holes and dents and gaps have all been filled nicely and the textured paper brings it all together.

It sure has been a lovely and productive holiday. If only I can now shake off this yucky cough and throat. The gravelly voice is quite sexy though and I'd like to keep that!


Original Comments:

ella m. said...

Use the sexy purr to get mr. doris to bring you some medicine and a proper tea setting in your pretty new hall ....just kidding. Nice to hear your holiday went well, here's hoping you feel better soon.

Friday, December 30, 2005 4:56:00 PM

SillyBahrainiGirl said...

season's greetings.
get well soon ;)

Friday, December 30, 2005 4:57:00 PM

mrshellonheels said...

Im sorry your family was sick over the holidays. That's never fun : (
Get well soon!
I am so sick of remodeling and building. I can't wait until its done and I can sit back and enjoy my home again. Happy New Year Doris!

Friday, December 30, 2005 5:08:00 PM

Cheryl said...

Welcome back to the land of the living!
Fishcakes (My swear word du jour)
I just 'only nearly' tagged you for a meme, because I thought you were still incommunicado.
Please play anyway!
And finish getting well, soon.

Friday, December 30, 2005 11:57:00 PM

Rain said...

hope you feel better. my house is not vicorian, but I want it to convey that mood. floral walls and all.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 3:04:00 AM

Ghone said...

Love the thought of you getting anal behind the radiator! I went paper free in my 1920's home, but do own a special mini roller/paint brush device for doing it behind the radiator!

I do read you far more than I ever comment. (I like to watch! Probably something to do with the photography!)
Keep up the great writing and have a smashing 2006. Ghone.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:22:00 AM

Steve said...

I just wanted to post to say May 2006 be all that you would wish it to be, I am posting this post on all the blogs I read regularly ( for regularly read obsessively) because I don’t leave comments half as often as I should, but I want to say thanks to all the bloggers that have allowed me to observe part of their life without phoning the police about a stalker, keep on blogging!

Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:53:00 PM

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

from star

Sunday, January 01, 2006 2:05:00 PM

Ally said...

Happy New Year, and I don't suppose you fancy coming round and doing the same to our hall too, do you? :).

Hope you're feeling better - we've had the same lurgy :/.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 2:10:00 PM

Jo said...

Happy New Year Doris!

Hey - how about a sound file of your new sexy/gravelly voice then ;-)

Sunday, January 01, 2006 4:13:00 PM

Badaunt said...

Happy New Year!

I hope the lurgy goes away soon. I am most impressed that you can work while you're still not feeling well. That's real dedication!

Sunday, January 01, 2006 5:54:00 PM

Milt Bogs said...

Happy New Year Gran. Sorry to hear about the throat. Perhaps it's a wart on your larynx. All the best singers have them.
When I'm feeling energetic I try to paper behind radiators without removing them but the paper always lifts. I've got some radiators that are just going to have to come off this year.
I think I'll wait until the weather gets warmer.

Monday, January 02, 2006 1:38:00 PM

Astryngia said...

Happy New Year! I hope it's a good one for you. :-)

Monday, January 02, 2006 3:41:00 PM

Writer Mom said...

Golly, I hope you're feeling better. My kids have drippy eyes. I refuse to admit it's pink-eye, because that sounds so plague-like. Besides, they only got it because of all of the holiday visitors. Somebody brought the plague upon MY house!
Nothing a week's worth of isolation won't cure. When I wake up with crusty lashes, I'm adding a footnote in my thank you cards, "Thank you for the potpourri...and also the wonderful pink-eye. Let's do it again next Christmas. XOX."

Uh-oh. I'm venting on your blog. I hope you don't mind. The pink-eye people know my blog site.

I'm just like you with the attention to details. Tom hates this about me. I insist on vacuuming under everything...dusting, Can't be a single toy left under the bed. That would be like a pea under the mattress for me. I honestly think it would make me go mad to know a dirt stain was hidden by a couch.
Why do we do this?

I'd love to stop by for tea some day. Sounds lovely.

Happy 2006!!!

Monday, January 02, 2006 6:44:00 PM

Sparkling said...

What's wrong with having tea in the hall? Though I am not a fan of hoovering biscuit crumbs off the staircase.

Happy New Year!

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:55:00 PM

Neutron said...

Happy (and healthy) New Year to you, doris. Thanks for all the fascinating posts...and for visiting ME from time to time!

Tea in the hall sounds great, though I prefer a cup...boom boom...

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:03:00 PM

Anji said...

Hope you're all recovered now. I've never dared to try wall paper, can't see straight

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:11:00 AM

Z said...

I have to admit I detest wallpapering. Painting is so much easier. And yes I do it behind the radiator too.
happy 2006 to you and yours.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:49:00 PM

No comments: