Sunday 18 December 2005

Chronicles of Narnia


We've just been to see Narnia and I notice that most of the audience were adults. Three small children and their dad were sat in front of us but there was an altercation, he snapped at the kids then trundled them out during the movie very cross. The film is just too long to get started and I reckon it truly deserves its PG rating.

They did well to find old-fashioned looking kids but I take exception that the eldest (the goodie) had golden hair (and Prince William looks) whilst Edmund (the traitor) had the darkest hair of the 'siblings'. All the baddies were stereotypically ugly and dark.

I also found the intial adult and child relationships: youngest Lucy going off for tea with Mr. Tumnus, the Faun; and Edmund meeting the White Witch; just a tad icky. Something about these scenes made me feel uncomfortable. These are the aspects of the film I didn't like.

A long time at the beginning covers the kids in wartime London and being evacuated. This was poignantly portrayed and makes me think about how I was nervous just to leave my son at the swimming pool on his own today and yet many parents sent their kids off on train journeys to unknown destinations. How scary must that have been.

The special effects were superb. Aslan looked like a real lion and I'm sure I couldn't work out the joins. Various characters were wonderful and spiced with humour.

I rated the film a harsh 6 out of 10. Son's friend gave it something like 24 out of 10 whilst son gave it 10 out of 10. He loved especially the scary bits. The violence and scary bits should not be underestimated. And don't rush out when the credits start because the film isn't quite over at that point!


Original Comments:

8 Comments -

-->Show Original Post -->Collapse comments

Jo said...
Interesting Doris - my kids have just been to see it with their mum and they loved it too. I couldn't go but I would have liked to, I adored the books when I was little. But I was (and am) a bit wary about what they might have done to a precious memory?
Sunday, December 18, 2005 11:12:00 PM
Wulfweard The White said...
I hate films of the books as they never live up to expectations especially that of a childs memory
Monday, December 19, 2005 6:40:00 AM
Badaunt said...
The evacuation of children during the war was an AMAZING phenomenon - have you ever read up about it? Huge numbers of children displaced and sent off to strange families...

I'm afraid to see the movie, too. I don't even want to read the books again, for pretty much the same reason that Wulfweard the White says.
Monday, December 19, 2005 9:53:00 PM
J's Girlfriend said...
*Blink blink* I am not reading that post because I just bought tickets to see it myself... Wouldn't want any spoilers! I am thinking it's so long since I've read the books that I won't remember exactly how stuff goes. Can't waiiiiit!!! Will def. be back to see what you thought in the aftermath!
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:03:00 PM
Reia said...
i'm looking forward to watching it! i never read the book but the play/stage version of 'the lion, the witch and the wardrobe' has been so popular here that they staged it on 2 consecutive christmas seasons. :-)
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:11:00 PM
Writer Mom said...
Too scary for 2 and 5?
I need to get out of the house.

Edmund...not good in Shakespeare, either. Hm.

*Just saw a special on children being sent off during WWII. Socked me in the gut and made me realize we have it really really good.
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:08:00 PM
doris said...
Writer Mom Please ask others who have seen it, I really don't think it is a suitable film for such young ones. It is very long and quite startling with the scary bits.

Great film for adults who have read the book though! :-)
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:38:00 PM
Anonymous said...
Still haven't watched this film. Got it planned for this week though. Hopefully. Must say, your review has put me off a little though.
Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:56:00 PM

No comments: