Sunday 18 December 2005

Apron Strings

My son has a new friend with whom he did a sleep-over at his house last night. They had planned to go swimming today and due to a mix-up I ended up taking them at the very last minute. Fair enough. What I didn't realise, was that I wasn't required to sit in the viewing gallery for the required time. It was quarter to eleven and I was to leave my 11 year old and his same aged friend and to come back at 3pm. "We'll probably get something to eat" they tell me.

As a kid I was doing all sorts at that age and younger but times have changed. Up to now I have always made sure son didn't even go into the changing rooms on his own and here I was to leave him for such a period of time at a potentially high-risk activity and environment. It was as scary as leaving him for his first day at nursery.

Of course I tried to look cool, as did son who I'm sure couldn't believe his luck at being let off the noose. Sadly though, I made him tell me our phone number in case they needed to call me on a public phone. And off I went.

Now I'm clock watching and told them I might come back and check up on them. Only two hours to go.

NB: I don't know who the woman in the apron is, in the piccy above, but she comes from our royalty free supply of interesting pics. And she makes me smile!


Original Comments:

Minerva said...

True love is letting go....
I have daughters of 10 and 12 and I would find doing this so hard...
Well done...
Minerva...

How long to go now?

Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:29:00 PM

Cheryl said...

ROFL so glad for the disclaimer about who the lady might be - I'd have had some serious fun if you'd left people wondering if that was you, 'Gran'.

Hahahaha!

Sunday, December 18, 2005 7:34:00 PM

doris said...

Minerva " True love is letting go" this is so and in the past I had Mr Doris to hold my hand and give me courage. This time I had to do it all by myself.

All went well. Son now knows how to do a reverse charge call which under the circumstances I'm not best pleased. He called simply to ask me to come pick them up half and hour earlier... £1.49 it cost for such a call. It is hard to, on the one hand, encourage them to incur costs if needed, but on the other, know when it is appropriate.

I suppose I am relieved that all went well and that he had sufficient ability to know what to do.

Me LOL Yes, I could have left people wondering (and you teasing!) but as I reckon it clearly isn't me, and I think it wrong when people put up clearly recognisable photographs of strangers that I felt I had to put the disclaimer.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:18:00 PM

Rain said...

I've been in that situation. It's so hard. Mine is 13 and I'm getting a bit used to it. You spend so many years keeping close watch on them and then... it's time to ease up. I like how you describe that he was unable to believe his luck, my daughter is the same.

Monday, December 19, 2005 1:39:00 AM

MrsDoF said...

You done good, Missy Doris.
Reverse the charges is fine because at least he called YOU. The time he calls someone else first just might break your motherly heart.

Monday, December 19, 2005 2:17:00 AM

mrshellonheels said...

I can't wait to read your post when the day comes to hand him the car keys. YIKES

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 2:58:00 AM



No comments: