Tuesday 4 October 2005

Ice-cream sundae jeans

Yesterday my now 16 year old daughter did part one of a 'Trinny and Susannah' makeover on me. I rarely-to-never buy clothes and can never get up any enthusiasm when I am in the shops. And then I am held back by a silent voice telling me "not to treat myself"; "not to waste money"; "not to spend money"; "I can't afford it"; or "I'll end up wasting money as it probably won't really suit me", and so I am in a rut. But I've been inspired by Jo at Inner Girl and took the plunge.

Recovering from my tooth pains - now almost gone - I have been working nearly round the clock on a number of projects for clients and so felt justified to take out £200 cash and hand it over to my daughter. She was quite delighted it seems to have been asked and was suitably puffed up knowing that I rated her sense of style.

We had the loveliest time. No arguing but there was plenty of her playful snapping at me to put inappropriate items back on the shelf. She even carried all the bags but that was probably because they were those lovely big paper bags with a single item in each and not my usual placcy bags stuffed full from the cheap stores!

For a break, we took coffee in an exquisite bar with big lounge seats and a palm tree. I didn't know we had such a place in our town! We ended up buying hair dyes. Tomorrow daughter is going to have a go at my hair and pluck my eyebrows as part of the makeover. Until then, I am not wearing any of the clothes or the wonderful print and fabric shoes with pointy toes and the teeniest of heels.

As for the jeans, at that particular shop, daughter was in and out the changing room with different sizes for me to try on. The nice shop assistant checked with my daughter "Are they for your friend?" to which my daughter could barely suppress her laughter at the thought! But I have to say that yesterday it really did feel like we were friends which is almost a first and that was lovely.

Daughter settled on a rather modern pair of jeans for me. And if she chose them and thought I looked good in them then they must be OK - she hates the thought of me dressing too young for my age. These new jeans are sawn off at the top with only half a fly-zip and each time I yanked on a pair, daughter was horrified as I tried to hitch them up to my waist when they clearly stopped just barely above my pubes! I had to roll down my big baggy knickers as the 'look' just wasn't right.

Then there is my bum. I have a bum cleavage that I could keep my spoon in! These jeans make me think of a ice-cream sundae glass. They sit on my body and then I ooze out and above them like ice-cream and cream. With a cherry on the top - hopefully! :-)



Original Comments:

zandperl said...
I don't mind hip-hugger jeans, but some of these low-rises are positively obscene and uncomfortable. A long while ago I had to get rid of the "old lady undies" my mom used to buy for me when I stopped wearing jeans above my navel. I don't like wearing jeans that *require* a thong. I'll wear a thong once in a while, but it's usually not worth the effort.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:42:00 AM
Universal Soldier said...
Sounds like you had a great time with your daughter. Mrs Soldier usually has to do the clothes shopping for me - I have no taste.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:59:00 AM
mrshellonheels said...
I hate shopping for clothes, I have no patience for it, actually I hate shopping period. But reading your post made me kinda sorta wish I had a daughter. sigh.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:28:00 AM
Cheryl said...
Oooh you lucky girl!

If the plucking doesn't pan out - you could both go to a salon and be waxed instead - its about £7 I think - dirt cheap and not half so nerve wracking / painful.

I want a makeover!!!!!!! I also want your shoes!
Happy for you :-)
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 7:33:00 AM
Milt Bogs said...
Oh Doris - bum cleavage and a cherry... My clapped out imagination has just switched into long unaccustomed overdrive.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:43:00 AM
Anji said...
Could you lend your daughter for another make-over? I know that if there are things I like in the shops I won't have the money for them, when I have got the money I can never find anything I like!
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:43:00 AM
Astryngia said...
Elegy to a body. Lovely! I just don't have the right shape for those low rise jeans - they continue to slide on down and then pull my knickers down with 'em!
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:07:00 AM
Annie said...
Sounds like you had a lovely time. I don't do jeans. I have horrible legs. I think it's my Welsh bit coming out, I have rugby players' knees!
Eyebrow plucking isn't too bad if you get them done professionally to start with, and then get a decent pair of tweezers and then keep plucking out the odd ones. I've done mine for years.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:39:00 AM
ella m. said...
Even if they go forever out of style, I can only wear lower rise jeans.

I have a very short torso in proportion to my height and anything even remotely high rise makes me look short and stumpy.

Add in the fact that i need an extra tall length inseam (despite not being extra tall) and it makes jeans shopping a living hell.


I can shop for hours but jeans are the one thing that drives me up a wall to search for.

I have found a few brands that fit perfectly, and this is enough of a boon to justify the $200 price tag.


No more searching, just a sky high credit card bill.

Lesser of two evils.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:35:00 PM
Red Mum said...
Sounds like a wonderful day with your daughter, I am looking forward to that with my own in the time to come.

You also described what I have heard here referred to as Muffin Trousers, you know spilling out over the top and from what you said I somehow doubt that is yourself:)
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 3:07:00 PM
Cheryl said...
So?
Its been 24 hours - do you still have eyebrows????


ROFL - sorry!
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:37:00 PM
jane said...
I hope you click a pic of you with this new makeover. Your daughter sounds like she's quite the fashion designer & kudos to you for letting her make you over.
It sounds as though your relationship is taking on a new life of its own as she's getting a little older.
I can't tell you how MUCH I want a sundae now!
Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:23:00 AM
Jo said...
Go Doris! Thanks for the name check and glad for the (rather unusual?!) inspiration of my blog!

Now about that spoon...!!

Actually i was looking at some video of myself the other day and detected definite Muffin tendencies as I too can spill out a bit ;-)

Let us have the update - full fashion show and final make up results!
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:43:00 AM
doris said...
Phew! I have been so busy and so has daughter that the second part of the makeover has to wait.

The Sundae in the pic is actually called a Doris Sundae after Doris Day! I couldn't resist it :-)

Zandperl Hip huggers! I thought they must have a name. As for thongs - last time I tried them I didn't!

Universal Soldier I might get daughter to do similar for Mr Doris. He looked fantastic on our wedding day and brushes up very well but the rest of the time has his delightful nerdy look! ;-)

Hell on Heels See your name.... well that's what it is like most of the time having a teenaged daughter. Sadly, the nice moments are rare.

Cheryl I've had my eyebrows waxed.... the last time the girl cheerfully removed most of my eyebrows and asked me if that was OK. Like a mutt, I said "very nice thank you" but vowed not to get them butchered again. I also have an altruistic motive - daughter over plucks her eyebrows and it doesn't look good. I'm hoping that when doing mine she can see that less plucking can be better.

Milt Bogs I hope your eyes have stopped spinning by now! Not good for the ole ticker you know!

Anji That's how I feel too and am pleased to virtualy lend my daughter's assistance!

Astryngia :-)

Cat You are right about the upkeep of plucked eyebrows and each time I get them professionally done I intend to do just that.... LOL

Ella M I shall count myself lucky that we quickly found a pair of jeans to suit with a £40 price tag.

Red Mum Muffin trousers?! Another new word for me.... but I prefer Ice Cream Sundae trousers!

Jane Not sure about pics - will see about a pic of the shoes. Very cute for me. You are right that the very difficult relationship I have with my daughter is mellowing. Fingers crossed it goes from strength to strength.

Jo I like to think that I fluff up rather than spill out but I'd be kidding myself ever so slightly. I'm refusing to wear any of my goodies until stage 2 of the makeover and I know that will encourage dear daughter to give me a hand. I'm afraid I'm not as forthcoming as you with pics - after all I have a Doris image to look up to. Have you seen Doris in the Surf Tropical ad?! LOL
Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:01:00 PM
doris said...
Wahey! Here's the Doris Tropical Surf TV ad. I was sent a link the other day but that didn't work and it took ages to find this.... you have to watch it to the end :-)
Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:01:00 PM
doris said...
And you need your sound on before you click the link.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:05:00 PM
Mary P. said...
I loved this story. What a lovely day you both had!

I also love low-rise jeans. They suit my shape. (I'm fairly well endowed and a nice smallish waist but sadly short in the torso, so waisted jeans make me look like I am an enormous chest rising directly from my navel... lol.) As for the underwear problem? Panty-lines make your butt look fat and bulgy, but I hate thongs - so uncomfortable! - so if the panties would show, I just, in the words of my 19 year old daughter "go commando". :-)
Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:42:00 PM
Anji said...
Great ad; we really enjoy the UK ads when we visit
Friday, October 07, 2005 9:49:00 AM
Karen said...
It sounds like you had a real girly time - I love going shopping with my 16 year old daughter - not sure if I'd let her choose my clothes, I'd end up in thigh high boots and a mini skirt...
Friday, October 07, 2005 4:08:00 PM
Anonymous said...
Sounds like a lot of fun!! I was surfing to find some blogs in the UK...came across yours. I have a daughter the lives in Horley, Surrey. She's a 20 yr old newlywed! I don't really know too much about the area that they live in, but I figured if I can read about things and daily life, I could be a little more connected!!

Have a great day!

~~Stephanie in Stow, Ohio, USA
Friday, October 07, 2005 7:05:00 PM
Badaunt said...
If you don't like shopping for clothes (and I hate it) a friend/relative with good taste is a GODSEND. I recently discovered that my friend's mother is a shopping genius. You come out of the changing room and she snaps, 'NO!' - and you don't argue. But when she snaps, 'YES! Buy it!' she is always right. It's incredibly fast.

Unfortunately, she's in France and I'm in Japan, but the two things I bought with her (it took five minutes! One shop!) I've been wearing since coming back. The first time I wore them they felt familiar and right, like old favourites already. BRILLIANT.
Saturday, October 08, 2005 3:06:00 PM

No comments: