Saturday 3 September 2005

Kung Fu Hustle


If you get a chance to see this film don't miss it! There were parts where we all cried ourselves silly with laughter. Thank goodness it has sub-titles as we had no chance of hearing the dialogue through our laughter. The film is a mixture of Kung Fu on LSD, bumbling idiots, real life, morals and deepest humour.

I'm not one for slapstick and this wasn't. It was beautifully crafted to a point that it became fantastical and ridiculous but not farcical. At least that's what I think. The main character must be a genius because he not only wrote and acted but also directed the film! I so loved the main woman - the landlord - played by an older woman in slippers, curlers and with a lighted cigarette hanging from her lips. Magnificent fight scenes played out - she is one of the fighters - and yet she maintained her fag-ash Lil pose. Oh, and one of the Kung Fu masters was camp as can be. There were points you could not believe what you were seeing or hearing.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did nothing for me and I found their fight scenes silly because they were implausible and trying to be serious. In this film, it is so tongue in cheek and meant to be ridiculous that you take it for what it is. The violence is extremely graphic and normally I'm squeamish about such things but somehow the humour carried it. The violence is not belittled, just taken into a different dimension.

See a Trailer in Quick Time or if you have an Internet Explorer browser and finally IMDB - Internet Movie Database

-./`---./`---./`---./`---./`---./`---./`---./`--



Original Comments:

Cheryl said...
Brilliant!
Love the trailer - all that fighting going on to the strains of Ballroom Blitz, with pinball machine noises as bodies hit balconies etc.
Thanks for this post!
Sunday, September 04, 2005 2:32:00 PM
Karen said...
My pooter was playing the silly arse and wouldn't let me look at the trailer - I shal keep my eye out for it - It sounds fun.
Sunday, September 04, 2005 9:25:00 PM
MrsDoF said...
Right alongside ya with that Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger (is that name backwards?) flick. It just seemed too far-fetched.
I did love the animated MULAN though.
Also loved the live action SHAOLIN SOCCER, which had a couple of the same actors.
I was laughing out loud at just the trailer for this, so Thanks for the Link. I'll be watching for it.
Monday, September 05, 2005 2:18:00 AM
doris said...
MrsDof I haven't seen Shaolin Soccer but it seems my son has and he kept saying this or that actor was also in that. I'm right with you on Mulan - I loved that. Partly because I think it was the first flick I had seen where the main role was not only female but a girl who is strong in her own right and was a true hero.

Karen The IE link doesn't work properly in Firefox which is a bit daft. I'm sure you'd love the film :-)

Cheryl We actually saw the trailer in a regular cinema as a "Coming soon" and loved the madness of it all.
Monday, September 05, 2005 4:09:00 AM
Le laquet said...
Looks great - loved the music and silliness .... I shall be looking out for it!
Monday, September 05, 2005 5:49:00 AM
jane said...
somehow i can handle violence & mystery when i know it's just joking or what the ending will be. i could probably handle this movie then.
so glad you enjoyed it :)
Monday, September 05, 2005 9:54:00 AM
Mike Hitchen said...
"I so loved the main woman - the landlord - played by an older woman in slippers, curlers and with a lighted cigarette hanging from her lips."

Thanks Doris - I often wondered what happened to my ex girlfriend:)

Mike
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:45:00 AM
Z said...
This film was the best I have seen this year. So very different. I loved The Landlord too. Brilliant indeed.
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 1:37:00 PM
Reia said...
That movie is totally hilarious! I love the landlady as well, the gay tailor and the lady tenant with huge teeth! LOL! Hmmm.... wonder how the mute girl was able to keep the lollipop intact through all those years!?!??!
Anyway, this blog is great! Love it. I'm gonna bookmark you :-) Thanks too, for visiting mine.
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 5:39:00 PM
zandperl said...
It's a really hilarious movie. It's like if Monty Python did a Kung Fu movie. The same director/writer did "Shaolin Soccer" before "Kung Fu Hustle." SS was also enjoyable, but KFH was much better.
Saturday, September 10, 2005 8:30:00 PM
desiqueen said...
I just started blogging so my blog is no where near ready yet!

But I know I LOVED this film so much great! I am 'Kung-fu' flim fan in General, and its nice to see a good comedy like this, instead of seriuos. Very refreshing, and aweomely funny.
Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:53:00 PM

No comments: