Monday 12 September 2005

Cricket Ignorance

I suppose I watch cricket like a little kid watches the news: I can see and hear stuff but none of it makes any sense and everything jumbles together. However, I understand that we, the English, are on the verge of winning against Australia for the first time in umpteen years.

What I have managed to pick out though, is there is this Australian bowler who not only looks Australian but looks like he handles crocodiles. And there are a couple of other guys who wear those Aussie looking hats which helps me to identify them as not being English. Otherwise, unlike football, it looks like both sides wear the same clothes so how are you supposed to know which is which when they are bowling or fielding?

Health and safety is out the window with people sitting on rooftops on buildings around the field. Not nice safe flat roofs outside a window but the pinnacle of tall apex roofs.

Then there are the guys in orange reflective gear sitting all round the field with their back to the action watching the crowd intently. That must be a hard job.

What is funny, is the crowd sounds like a football crowd - so noisy and boisterous. It looks like a lot of fun and good on them.


Original Comments:

Ghone said...

And we won!!!

Monday, September 12, 2005 7:47:00 PM

MattyD said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

England regain the ashes!

I was laughing at all the workman sat down on the job too. I spose you can't really blame them though - first time we've been half decent at cricket against the convicts for the last 16 years or so!

Monday, September 12, 2005 8:37:00 PM

Mama Mouse said...

OOOOOOOOOH .... seems to me there's a deep rivalry here! LOL

Congrats to England ... you'll get another chance Oz!

Monday, September 12, 2005 9:48:00 PM

Chandira said...

Go England!! Yay!!

Been a long time since I watched cricket.. Nobody here even knows what it is, mind you, neither do I! I'm like you, watching all the other stuff.

Monday, September 12, 2005 10:14:00 PM

Universal Soldier said...

It's only times like these you get to spend 3 full days of work at around watching telly.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 7:25:00 AM

/T/ said...

I never understood cricket either. All I know (or think I know) is that games can take many many hours and that they can stop the game for tea breaks. How british is that? But since it is all so british, I am happy for you guys that you won back the ashes. It still doesn't convince me to start watching that sport.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 3:37:00 PM

Z said...

Funny not so long ago everyone was telling me how BORING cricket was to watch. Now, all of a sudden, it's the BEES KNEES.

I think this has something to do with winning.
BORING = Losers
EXCITING = Winners
That's all you need to understand.

Bah Humbug

Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:54:00 PM

No comments: