Thursday 22 September 2005

Blogging under the influence

According to the instructions from the dentist, along with no alcohol or operating machinery including kettles, I must not sign any documents. Presumably in case I do something daft. So here I am doing something daft and writing a blog post!

The dentist managed to remove two teeth but refused to do the third, even though, under sedation I was urging him to continue. I was clearly distressed throughout. Afterwards he explained that sometimes people are like that. Some get fits of the giggles and some get something else which I can't remember, but others remain distressed despite the sedation supposedly calming one down.

It is some hours later and I have been bleeding quite profusely and have been in pain. A homeopathic remedy has helped with the bleeding and I've now had some lovely warm soup. I was hungrier than I expected to be, having eaten only a couple of pieces of toast this morning and no lunch. I've taken pain killers and shortly will return to relaxing with my first cup of tea suitably cooled down (thank you for the warning Ella!).

I feel awful but it had to be done. The dentist was saying that I should have the last one done under general anaesthetic but with over a year wait on the NHS this is ridiculous and the practice don't do general anaesthetic. I'd rather go through this again than have to wait years... so it will be something to discuss in future. I am certainly under the weather and not up to physically talking. Thanks for everyone's good wishes :-)


Original Comments:

Ghone said...
Dentists - my only real phobia in life!
What is it with you and
Karen both blogging about them at the same time.
Well, at least your work was done by a professional!
Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:13:00 PM
Mama Mouse said...
Oh Doris! I'm sorry that they didn't get the third one and that you couldn't get it all done and have it over with!

HUGS!!!
Friday, September 23, 2005 12:30:00 AM
Chandira said...
ooohh!! Feel better!!!
Friday, September 23, 2005 12:34:00 AM
mrshellonheels said...
((((Doris)))) this too shall pass!
I agree with mama..it would have been nice to had it all done at one time. My thoughts are with you. I hate dental work.
Friday, September 23, 2005 4:17:00 AM
jane said...
Awww Doris, I hope your mouth is okay tomorrow. If not, look at the bright side, you may lose a few more pounds. (that's how i always gage things)
I go to the dentist tomorrow night, but no teeth pulled. Still I have to take an anxiety pill first.
What is NHS? And Scrummy? And what is plum sausage made from?
Friday, September 23, 2005 6:25:00 AM
Pookie65 said...
I'm glad you made it through the first two OK. Hang in there, hon!
Friday, September 23, 2005 1:42:00 PM
Emperor Joe said...
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled over a month ago. I was in the best mood ever after they pulled them. I felt good till the next day. Then the pain meds kept the pain away. But I never got depressed. Im glad I had a pretty good experience. If you have another one hope it goes well.
Friday, September 23, 2005 4:17:00 PM
MattyD said...
Ooooh did you get to keep the teeth that were taken out?

If the tooth fairy goes with inflation/or the cost of oil...either is good... then you should find a fair bit of money under your pillow tomorrow ;)

Hope you're feeling ok! :)
Friday, September 23, 2005 5:05:00 PM
Badaunt said...
Last year, no, the year before (between Xmas and New Year) I had two thirds of a wisdom tooth removed. The other third refused to come out. Also, the injection that was supposed to take care of the pain didn't work. Four times the usual dose didn't work. The whole process was TORTURE - but I wanted that tooth out.

After two hours I still wanted him to continue but he refused, and sewed a flap of gum over the remaining third of the tooth instead. It was decay in the top part (which was gone) that was the problem, so he said it would probably be OK. (I didn't like the sound of that 'probably.')

I went home, sat down and wrote an email, felt fine, stood up to go make myself a cup of tea, felt suddenly ill, dropped to the floor and crawled to the toilet, vomited, passed out, and stayed lying on the floor for the next half hour. It was HORRIBLE.

Your dentist was right not to continue. Carry on too long and you go into shock, and that isn't nice.

(I didn't have pain afterwards, though. Only during the operation, but far too much of it.)
Friday, September 23, 2005 5:12:00 PM
doris said...
Thanks for that Badaunt - I have spoken to my "care co-ordinator" today and she will have a word with the tooth-puller next week when he is next in. The good thing about only having the two pulled is that they are on the same side and I am able to eat on the other side of my mouth.

So does that mean you still have a bit of tooth in you?

MattyD - I forgot to ask to have my teeth back even though I had considered asking! I hadn't thought about the investment opportunity though. Thought I might thread them into a necklace..... nah - only joking!

Emporer Joe - 'tis good to hear that you survived! Thanks for sharing and look forward to visiting your blog sometime soon :-)

Thanks everyone else for your hugs and support!

Jane - NHS = National Health Service. All adults pay a little every week towards the NHS so I suppose it is just like paying for health care in the US but the idea is that anyone can get health care without having to pay extra. In practise, it is not working so well these days but we still have to pay our NHS payments even if we choose to go private. (Which we don't on the whole except for dental treatment which I'd have to pay for anyway even on the NHS)

Scrummy = I suppose it is short for scrumptious which I reckon means extra delicious!

Plum sausage = didn't I say Duck and Plum sausage? An you know how good duck is with something sweet such as orange so I guess these are duck .... and .... plum... LOL Actually, we got to taste some cooked before we bought them and I know they are wonderful whereas son is looking foward to them just because they sound good. :-)
Friday, September 23, 2005 7:04:00 PM
jane said...
thanks Doris. i've never tasted duck, lamb, goose, (i have had a buffalo burger) and other things i've seen you mention.
will you let me know how it is?
Friday, September 23, 2005 10:57:00 PM

No comments: