Monday 15 August 2005

The Naked Interview


The last couple of years I have kept a low profile but the preceding few I did a lot of TV and radio interviews in connection with my work. One was for a national BBC Radio: a breakfast programme slot about a hot issue of the day. It was terribly serious and they wanted my views on some possible new UK legislation.

The interview was going to be live but I could do it over the phone from home. So I knew to expect an early morning phone call - they would phone a few minutes in advance of the interview to make sure we had a good phone connection.

It had been a while since we needed to use an alarm clock..... it was the phone call that woke me from my deep sleep. Luckily I had plugged in the phone next to my bed!

I flew downstairs to get the notes up on my monitor so that I could refer to them. No time for anything, I don't wear anything in bed, the sleep fug was still in my eyes and then the phone whirred into action and the interview was done. I think I sounded reasonably intelligent and pompous. And then I realised that here I was, conducting a serious interview on the esteemed BBC radio and they didn't know I was sat naked at my desk.

Makes me wonder about other interviews I have heard on the radio!



How I came to be recalling that was as a result of one of my little mind rambles. I was wondering how much I would be prepared to put on my blog - I mean really important stuff, not like this post which is just a funny incident to me. I mean the nitty gritty. Utterly personal and somehow central to who I am. And yet stuff, I would rather not hide anymore, locked away in the back of my mind. I wondered if I opened them up and laid them bare would I be able to cope with, one day, reconciling my real life where I don't talk abut these things, with what I have written here.


It is an utter coincidence I post this item on the day that www.ipodnirvana.com have their Podcast #2 which mentions this here blog and Andy gives his answers to 5 Qs 4 U in amongst some good music. I've been podcast and it feels gooood :-)


Original Comments:

vertigo25 said...

I found out not long ago that all of Terry Gross' interviews for Fresh Air are conducted remotely. Not really by phone, but they have people go to a studio and she interviews them from a different studio... apparently even if they're in the same town.

Conan O'Brien asked her why she did that and she said so she could be naked while doing the interviews :) She was joking, but Conan's response was great. One of the classic Conan WTF looks.

I went through a period of very personal blogging, and I don't think I'll ever do it again. There are parts of my life which are just better off left off the internet, I think. It's amazing how people you've never met will seem to think they know everything about you if you do too much personal stuff.

And BTW... the show is up and your answers are on it. Sorry if I sound a bit tired through the show. I was up much later than I wanted to be.

Monday, August 15, 2005 11:29:00 AM

Cheryl said...

Think of it as a diary and confessional in one - does that help?
Saying whats on your mind publicly but relatively anonymously, genuinely but with an acceptance that once you state things they have a tendency to change.
Scary?
Hope it helps :-)

Monday, August 15, 2005 11:53:00 AM

Cheryl said...

Tagged you for a meme.

Woof!

Monday, August 15, 2005 12:04:00 PM

doris said...

Andy LOL I am sure there is a lot more that goes on behind the microphones than we realise.

Interesting what you say about personal blogging which I will bear in mind.

As for your show - it is great. It was last week too but especially this week as you do the 5 Qs 4 U and found all that news about the Unicorns >mega grin<

Andy's iPod show can be heard online here, today mentioning me :-) www.ipodnirvana.com

Cheryl I'll just take each post as it comes and if I decide to post a bit deeper. It has been interesting for me because I feel that what I have posted so far is only a "reflection" of what has happened, as a sort of story-telling and not because I am deep in that quagmire anymore. And that in itself has been cathartic - I suppose because I can laugh or cry at those situations and feel thankful and happy I am here now and no longer there.

As for your meme, I'll be along to fetch it :-)

Monday, August 15, 2005 12:46:00 PM

zandperl said...

Hah, that's hilarious! I don't know how old you really are, but from the title ("Gran") I'm expecting older than my parents, and I've got this image of white hair and wrinkles all over. :-P

Meanwhile, yeah, how personal to get... I feel like I used to be more personal on my blog before I joined Blog Explosion. Now I know strangers are reading it, not just a few friends. Additionally, my bf occasionally checks it too, so I try and restrict my comments on him. (Not that I'd say anything except how wonderful he is!) It's kinda strange. He also reminded this past week that I need to be careful about work-related comments. I've removed my photo to help with the anonymity there. *sigh*

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 4:50:00 PM

No comments: