Monday 8 August 2005

5 Qs 4 Me!

Tim at Soup du Jour of the Day has served me up a helping of my own medicine.... and how yummy it is!

1. What is a typical day in the life of Doris like?
Very long but easy going. Being self-employed, on the whole I can choose to work when I want and am generally desk-based in our home office. In and out of the day I will do small chores; or be out and about helping someone who is needing a lot of support at the moment; maybe spend a little time with either of the kids - we are actually home-educating; and then I do some work! Day starts about 8.30am-ish and ends about midnight-ish. The world of blogging has dominated a bit over the last couple of months which has interfered a little with work.

2. What food or dish do you love, but never fix because no one else in your household will eat it?
Easy! Fresh vegetables in quantity. I would like to eat a lot more but it never seems the right time to cook them. The kids both turn their noses up to varying degrees and then the veggies just go off because they are not eaten soon enough. It is disheartening.

3. If you walk outside your front door and around the neighborhood, what sight, sounds, and smells do you experience?
The sight is of classic Victorian terraces. A certain amount of English elegance combined with the history. We have a park right behind and to the side of us so there are many trees. The sound depends on the time of day. For ten minutes every morning you hear the kids laughing and chatting as they run by us to school, then silence, and then the mums returning all a-chatting. Sundays you hear almost nothing but bird song in the morning. Later on in the day you hear the wonderful sounds of so many people playing in the park. It is a very well-used park and rather cosmopolitan. And then the smells! Living in a predominantly Asian area we have the wonderful but just gentle smell of curries in the morning when they are cooked, and then the smell of green trees and fresh cut grass from the park.

4. If you could spend a week in the U.S. where would you like to visit?
We spent three weeks in the US a couple of years ago and I'd do that all over again! But if it was just a week I'd do a boat trip along the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. Last time we did a road trip from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, up to Utah, and then visited Boston and New York. Do you have any idea how amazingly stunning your country is?

5. Do you have a character flaw that you would wish to fix?
A few actually. I procrastinate; I say "yes" too much; and I have low self-image. I'm working on them...


Thanks Tim, that was great :-)

For the rules of this game, see this post of mine 5 Qs 4 U



Original Comments:

Bernadette said...
Here's to home-educating, fresh veggies, Victorian terraces, mums a-chatting, curries cooking, and vacations! Yes to Doris anytime!
Monday, August 08, 2005 11:30:00 PM
Mama Mouse said...
Cheers to England! It sounds marvelous Doris ... oh I SOOOO wish I could be there to see, hear and smell your park!

Its nice to know a bit more about you now!
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:36:00 AM
jane said...
as i was reading your description, i felt as though i was walking through your neighborhood. it sounds so homey.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 6:42:00 AM
Le laquet said...
Your neighbourhood sounds just like the area where I teach - on cold Thursday mornings (playground duty) in November/December the smell of daal and roti cooking always makes me snuggle into my duffle coat as my belly rumbles - delicious! I now would love to go on said boat trip and would love to see the rock formations in Utah - great answers!!
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 8:05:00 AM
Anne said...
A couple of years ago, I took a train from Pennsylvania to California then took a bus back. Even I never knew how beautiful this country is until then.

When I was 12, I was lucky enough to spend a week in the UK. It's beautiful, too, and I hope to go back someday and see more of it.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 1:21:00 PM
Cheryl said...
Great questions, lovely answers.
I so miss an asian community - fresh ginger, fresh okra, caashews and pistachios by the kilo - hic sob you've made me homesick.
Want a visitor?
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:30:00 PM
anniebee said...
It sounds like a pretty busy life! Home educating must be quite a job. I like fresh veggies, they just don't like me much! Good questions - and answers.

P.S. Anthony or Eugene to win. Makosi out first.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:37:00 PM
doris said...
Oh no! It has to be either Craig or Kinga out first! Apparently Eugene is now the bookies favourite to win. Or I wan't Makosi to win :-)
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:50:00 PM
tim said...
Thank you for answering my questions. I wonder if my vision of your neighborhood is reality.
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 12:59:00 AM

No comments: