Thursday 7 July 2005

When "stopped", paint!

What a day. The day after London gets the 2012 Olympics we have such terrorism. It is awful and scary. We've been through it before but when you get the bombs going off one after the other you just fear that it will never stop.

I've written more in the comments.



I'm still at odds with myself - since my "Stopped" post - and did what all compulsive bloggers do and I painted my website. Not because I wanted to achieve anything but just because it was a way to express myself. I can't say it looks good, just different, but I enjoyed myself. At least I don't have to wash out the paint brushes afterwards :-)


Original Comments:

John said...

Great design, Doris. Much better than the old parchment effect. Yes, it's been a hugely depressing day. I've been blogging the news all day over on SYNTAGMA and it's been a revelation. Although I've been a journalist, I've never blogged a big news event before. The contacts you make are amazing and visitor numbers out of this world. The blogosphere is a truly astonishing happening on a day like today.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 6:54:00 PM

doris said...

Thanks John, at least it is different to a ready made template.

It looks like we are simultaneously posting on each other's blogs! I notice I've said more about today on everyone else's blog!

Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:00:00 PM

jane said...

Doris, my heart goes out to you & your family. paint as often as necessary honey. any color you pick is perfect for that time.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:01:00 PM

doris said...

Thanks Jane.

I thought I had better say a bit more.....

It is awful. Still, I'm surprised the actual death toll isn't higher... thank goodness the media hasn't done it's usual and given wild casualty numbers and then revised it down. I spent the day on and off the phone with London friends and family. It's an awful business but reckon we'll make an extra brilliant Olympics as a result.

At least two people I know in London have managed to get home (just outside London) safely by about 3pm-ish - so transport is running and some people are able to get home. Others I know of are staying in London for the night so that they can get to work on foot tomorrow.

It is a terrible business but could have been a lot worse.

May these conflicts be resolved and I wish people wouldn't feel the need to commit terrorist acts. Ultimately, nothing is achieved by them.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:06:00 PM

Trevor said...

I'm glad you and yours are safe.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:06:00 PM

doris said...

Thanks Trevor. I have replied to your reply on your blog :-)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:16:00 PM

Bernadette said...

Doris--so good to learn that you are safe and sound! Prayers for your loved ones and their safety. Tragic!

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:20:00 PM

doris said...

Thanks for your concern Bonnie and thanks for your messages in other posts.

So many lovely people out there.... and the amount of international telephone calls I have had today from good friends has been wonderful. We all keep in touch anyway but times like this we want to draw closer and know that our loved ones are OK. :-)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:33:00 PM

Cheryl said...

Oi you fibber - you said you got a comment from God. Huh.


(rofl)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:36:00 PM

Milt Bogs said...

Doris - just what were you thinking of? That aged paper/parchment background was just bloody well perfect! I implore you to return your page to the way it was.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:46:00 PM

thebossman said...

Doris, in no way shape or form do i mean to belittle the terrible tragedy that happened today in London, but it made me think how those thousands of residents in and around NY felt: waiting for their loved ones to come home, to call and say they are ok.

It is so sad that tonight we have the same fearful wait happening again in London.

rant

Today's attacks once again show that we can not stand idly by and "negotiate" with these kind of people. They are the garbage of this world and somebody has to take it out!

/end of rant

PS: More importantly, my thoughts and prayers are with the people of London, the victims and their families!

Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:06:00 PM

doris said...

Cheryl - no I'm not! :-) Did you see here where the Lord God wrote?! He likes you, you know!

Milt - if you like the parchment you can have it. I'll only charge a fair rate.... but it is just one of the standard templates. Yes, it is a nice one and you'd comented on it before but me, I like different rather than off the shelf :-)

Bossman - thanks for your kind thoughts. Appreciated. On the other hand.... I am not sure who you mean by referring to "these kind of people" who should be "taken out". What has happened today was a vile and appalling atrocity that is inexecusable - even in the words of the Quran it says:
'Whoever takes a life without due justice, it will be as if he has killed the whole of mankind…' and, 'Do not take the life which God has made sacred except through (due process of) law.'

Catholics as a whole don't get blamed for the actions of the IRA, so we must be careful not to blame Muslims as a whole for the actions of a tiny lunatic minority.

I agree that we can't "negotiate" with the people committing these acts because they are doing it for misguided reasons. But equally I think that "taking them out" only guarantees a new wave of fanatics to take their place for revenge. And so the cycle continues.

I'm not saying I have an answer, I don't think anyone has, but there has to be a mindshift at some point.

Take care!

Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:41:00 PM

decrepitoldfool said...

You are so right not to focus on all Muslims. It seems lame to offer sympathy. I can't imagine the stress of getting on a train and looking at the other passengers, wondering...

Keep posting, please.

Friday, July 08, 2005 2:06:00 AM

No comments: