Wednesday 13 July 2005

Shuttle Launch Scrubbed

Apparently a faulty fuel-tank sensor has delayed the launch of the Discovery shuttle. I am so pleased they have decided to err on the side of caution.

Discovery's astronauts had all been strapped into the shuttle and were preparing for blast-off when the order came through to stand down. I read on the Nasa website today that the astronauts usually have cake before they fly. Iced with the shuttle insignia on it. Cake before take off? I bet they don't actually eat it!

I wrote a bit about Discovery with some links yesterday.


Original Comments:

guest said...
Even though it was predicted that it would be scrubbed, I was still rather disappointed to read it on your blog that it was.

Once again, you provided this blogger the news before CNN!
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:28:00 PM
doris said...
I only knew fairly quickly as I cam back to my desk after dinner and refreshed the clockon the NASA website and it said it was aborted.

There was nothing on the BBC website but there is now. I only posted about the delay because I've been watching out for it!

They might be able to take off next Monday. I wonder if there will be a new cake?
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:08:00 PM
Milt Bogs said...
Just wanted to say thanks for the comment Gran.
Thursday, July 14, 2005 1:44:00 AM
Bernadette said...
My little scholars take an astronomy class and are very keen on NASA. Have you seen the movie--"October Sky"?

We wake up to the BBC news over here in Seattle!
Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:14:00 AM
Milt Bogs said...
I think a faulty fuel-tank sensor might be one of my problems. "We changed every wire, every electronics box. We thought we had a good system." Scares the pants off me.
Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:37:00 AM
Ally said...
Yes, I am pleased that they erred on the side of caution, too - much easier to cross their fingers and hope ... .

Cake before take-off sounds disasterous.
Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:14:00 AM
John said...
When they announced that a window had fallen off and damaged some of the stick-on heat-shield tiles, I could scarcely believe my ears. Wasn't that the problem last time?

And how can a window just fall off, especially on a project that's been crawled over by the safety people for months? Laurel and Hardy couldn't have slipped in under NASA's radar ... could they?
Thursday, July 14, 2005 12:28:00 PM
zandperl said...
One of my friends told me it cost more than USD$600,000 (GBP 1 million?) for the cancellation/postponement.

When'd you change the site design? I'm afraid I find the blue/orange theme a bit garish... :-P
Thursday, July 14, 2005 3:17:00 PM
doris said...
Bonnie - I don't think I know that movie and will check it out. You know, I have pondered about the BBC News website as there are always lots of comments and feedback by people outside the UK. I only sometimes look at US news sites but unless I am mistaken, they seem to be bogged down by so much advertising or requirements to sign up, so I only look at them on rare occasions.

John - It was a window cover, but yes, does make you wonder. And why are those tiles so fragile? That was so embarassing but at least they didn't try to hide it.

Zandperl - I'm with you on the colours! They are a bit urgh! I don't mean to be offensive but I just wanted to do something very different and I think I achieved that ;-) I might go for a quickie style sheet change of colours when the mood takes me.

Hiya Ally and Milt :-)
Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:38:00 PM
Eabha the Kiwi said...
I wish our "leaders" would spend money on important things like feeding the children (one dies every 3 seconds); instead of throwing it into outerspace, or spending it on weapons.

What times we live in...

(Great blog though) ;)
Saturday, July 16, 2005 4:50:00 PM

No comments: