Friday 22 July 2005

Goodbyes

This evening I've had to say goodbye to a new friend. In less than a year her life has turned around from being a single parent starting a new life near where I live to meeting the man of her dreams and moving overseas with him. Goodbyes are rather poignant. Selfish because I was rather liking things the way they were, but mostly there is the promise of wonderful things for her. My friend and her daughter will be learning a new language, moving to a bigger house, making new friends but most of all making a new family unit. It was sad saying goodbye, but under such circumstances it was brilliant, I suppose. sniff sniff...


Original Comments:

Milt Bogs said...

I've got friends who keep threatening to move. I wish they would. I'd go and visit them.

Friday, July 22, 2005 11:46:00 PM

Mamsbug Speaks said...

Good friends are hard to come by, and its very hard to say good bye to them

Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:07:00 AM

Mama Mouse said...

For me its always a little sad when dear friends or relatives are starting off on a new adventure. Mostly its because I'll miss them ... but then too, there is the fact that I am a little whistful about the whole 'new adventure' thing. I'm jealous of THAT! Not many chances left at that kind of new adventure when you get old ...

Its wonderful for them! WOW! And OF COURSE you will miss them! No wonder you are just a little sad!

Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:05:00 AM

Pookie65 said...

Friends may leave your neighborhood, city, state, or country but they are always in the heart. I have friends I've not seen in years but through email, phone, letters we remain as close as if they are sitting right in front of me.

Huggers!

Saturday, July 23, 2005 1:09:00 AM

Anonymous said...

It's so hard when friends move away and you cannot maintain the type of friendship that comes with close proximity! Still, you can always go and visit ..... can't you?

Jo

Saturday, July 23, 2005 6:06:00 AM

jane said...

Perhaps you can go visit her sometime. So very bittersweet.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 7:14:00 AM

Comment deleted

This post has been removed by the blog administrator.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 7:15:00 AM

R. Edmondson said...

Good friends are hard to find so make sure you treasure and keep that friendship intact. A "goodbye" in this case, should not interpreted as "bye for good". Too many Good friends are lost this way, sometimes for good.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 7:20:00 AM

Karen said...

I hope everything works out well for your friend - I'm sure you'll keep in touch :-)

Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:48:00 PM

Steve said...

I know its hard when friends spread their wings and leave and I am dreading it when my kids do the same thing. But if your friend is moving abroad, especially if its a warm country, look at it from the positive.....CHEAP HOLIDAYS.....PMSL Joke people before anyone shouts

Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:28:00 PM

DaFFy said...

How exciting for your friend! I did what she did but only moved interstate, not overseas.
It's always hard being the one left behind I think... Cheer up - imagine the great visits you can have when she settles in!

Monday, July 25, 2005 5:14:00 AM

Ally said...

Yes, exciting for your friend, but sad for you. And perhaps you *will* be able to go and visit?

Monday, July 25, 2005 11:01:00 AM

Sarah said...

In my case I was the friend moving away but the goodbyes were just as hard. And as pookie65 said "I have friends I've not seen in years but through email, phone, letters we remain as close as if they are sitting right in front of me" that is so true! I wish your friend luck in her new adventure as well!

Monday, July 25, 2005 12:56:00 PM

arrazello said...

Yes, yes, there is nearly always a bright side. Think of the wonderful time you will have when you visit. :D

Monday, July 25, 2005 1:01:00 PM

guest said...

I hope your friend(s) are bloggers. It is always nice to hear about new adventures coming from someone who moves to a new place. Particularly the challenges and experiences from moving to another country. If they are not blogging already, turn them on to it. If they are bloggers, clue us into the URL of their blog. I’d love to read their stories.

Monday, July 25, 2005 5:31:00 PM

doris said...

I've been away - hence my not replying to any of your lovely comments sooner!

We will keep in touch - it will just be different. She is no longer just down the road, nor can she just pop in anymore. But, we will have another holiday destination to add to our portfolio and we are a second home for her or her daughter :-)

My friend isn't a blogger yet and up to now she hasn't seen mine but I've given her some search engine clues to find mine... it is too easy to just give her the web address!!! I'm hoping she might consider blogging as a way to keep in touch. So we'll just have to see.

Monday, July 25, 2005 8:18:00 PM

No comments: