Tuesday 14 June 2005

What's a MEME?

I'm thinking out loud here... I've seen these MEME things mentioned and don't really know what it is but I know I can Google for it and find some precise answers quite quickly. I was also wondering how it is pronounced. Is it Meem or is it me-me? It's probably something daft like em-ee-em-ee!

Ever seen those little strange biscuits in a box called TUC? Recently they ran some adverts for these biscuits on national TV which revealed how the name was pronounced: tuck. I always wondered about these tee-ewe-see biscuits - because that's how I thought they were called - and if the Trades Union Council had something to do with them.

Maybe I should go and titter back into my box.



Original Comments:


Cheryl said...
Used to love Tucs - especially Tuc sandwiches (like custard creams but cheesy, I think, like the filling in cheese footballs.)
Fave biscuit in this house at the mo = Garibaldi, aka squashed fly biscuits.

No idea about meme - I took it to mean me, me, all about me, because when you do one, it is.
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:06:00 AM
doris said...
Ah, custard creams. Now you are talking! And they have to be a particular brand and very bog-standard. Best refrigerated before eating with a good cup of strong tea. They're the best!

Never was keen on Garibaldi's but then I'm not keen on cookies or biscuits these days though I used to eat plenty of them when I was younger.

I still wonder about that pronounciation!
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:52:00 AM
Helen said...
Meme's are cool if people really understand what they are. Hope a few more take the time to google it!
Peace...........
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:09:00 AM
doris said...
Thanks Helen!

I found a link on Wikipedia but I am not that enlightened by it. Is it just me - am I so thick? (Please don't answer that!)

Wikipedia entry
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:06:00 PM
doris said...
Quote (from Wikipedia):

A meme, like a gene, does not purposely do or want anything—it either gets replicated or not.
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:08:00 PM
doris said...
I liked this definition and help with pronounciation:

Pronounced: `meem

What is a meme? A meme is an idea, or a particular way of thinking about what an idea is. A meme is a unit of mental information in the same way that a gene is a unit of biological information -- a metaphor of an idea as a transposon, a pattern of thought as a virus, a knowledge structure as a chromosome.

Memes compete to spread their information though a social population in the same ways genes compete to spread their information content through a biological population.

from http://www.meme.com/memedef/

Everywhere I read, seems to suggest that memes have a life force of their own. I suppose a bit like viral marketing and Wikipedia suggests that ads and viral marketing are a meme. Hmm.
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:20:00 PM
Steve said...
Hey Doris thanks for the definition I was wondering what it meant and I hope you don't mind but I have nicked your's and put it in my blog.
TUCs have always been one of my favourites but cheese footballs ewww cant face them since someone pointed out tha they smell like really smelly feet when you first open the packet you know a bit like dry roasted peanuts smelling like cow farts when you open them.
I know i know i've lowered the tone

I'll get me coat.
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:24:00 PM
doris said...
Hi Steve

For the sake of credit due where it is due, that definition is actually from Eric Watt Forste's "Arkuat's Meme Workshop" and was copied out on the link.

As for the cheese footballs - how come you needed someone to point out to you that they smelled of smelly feet?! They definitely do and so I have never been able to actually go ahead and taste them. Urgh.

Now as for you lowering the tone, and I know I promised (on your blog) to get out my box of tricks from under the bed, but you are welcome my dear, to lower the tone round here, anytime!!!
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:51:00 PM
anniebee said...
Fig rolls! Several packets in my cupboard. Not a biscuit fan otherwise. I bought some Lemon Puffs the other day though. I used to love them as a kid. As for meme, well it's pronounced meem but you know that now!
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:28:00 PM
John said...
The old Richard Dawkins kind of meme seems to have developed a new meaning in the blogosphere. I'm still trying to figure it out.

TUCs I do remember, though since reading that anything more than half a gram of salt a day crucifies the brain, I regard them as lethal enemies. Ain't life sad?
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:39:00 PM

No comments: