Friday 17 June 2005

The Banana Sandwich


I made Mr Doris and me banana and cream cheese sandwiches for lunch today. It is one of my absolute faves and was an addiction of mine during one of my pregnancies. However, I discovered something new about Mr Doris today. He actually doesn't like the combo and prefers just the banana on its own. So all these years when he has made this for lunch, he has put cream cheese in mine but not in his. And all these years I have put cream cheese in both!

He was ever so sweet when he told me. After he had eaten the said sandwich and made all the right yummy noises. Aww bless :-)


Original Comments:


mw said...
If that doesn't define love, I don't know what does.

I've never tried the combo before - I'll have to try it soon.

A beautiful post - thanks so much!

mw
Friday, June 17, 2005 8:11:00 PM
notdonnareed said...
Hmmm. That must be an acquired taste, like marmite. (Can't even type that without wrinkling my nose.)

My (English) husband is also one to grin and bear it. It took us three years to discover that neither one of us likes ice cream cakes, because we each though the other one did. The things we do for love...
Friday, June 17, 2005 9:49:00 PM
Cybrspin said...
what a guy :)
Friday, June 17, 2005 10:21:00 PM
doris said...
Hi mw

Awww, and thank you for saying so :-)

Hi notdonnareed

It is so delish - nothing acquired at all! I like the banana firm and sliced thinly, but piled high, over a thick wadge of philly cream cheese. Put marmite out of your mind - no comparison.

Real ice cream cake? A thousand years ago we used to have them in Australia and I loved them, especially the frozen cream swirls on top! Sorry you don't like them but how sweet in some ways that you both thought the other did even though neither of you did and yet you both made the effort. Awww :-)

Hi Cybrspin

I think so too :-)

I'll be over to visit y'all :-)
Friday, June 17, 2005 10:48:00 PM
jane said...
Do you make this on plain bread? I've never heard of it before but sure sounds interesting. I went to the Michele Agnew site, thanks for letting me know about it. Yes, I'm really bipolar. I looked for some way to email you but as you can see, was unsuccessful.
ps....the pubic hair entry had me literally rolling!!
jane
Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:04:00 AM
doris said...
Hi Jane, nice to see you :-)

Plain bread? I guess so, whatever takes your fancy from white to granary etc.

Thanks for saying the pubic hair entry made you laugh! Actually I think that is our connection!!! I wrote that and had second thoughts about having done so and then when I read your blog, probably via BlogExplosion, you made a similar comment after one of your posts. And you're also a daft cow - like me - when your significant other is away :-)

Try out the sarnie (sandwich in English) sometime.

See you on blog again soon :-)
Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:14:00 AM
Michele said...
What a wonderful man, aww, but you already know that. Lucky you!
Saturday, June 18, 2005 12:52:00 AM
Anomaly Resource said...
Mr. Doris is a lot nicer than I would have been. Once my wife almost poisoned me with teflon. You can bet I'm glad I stopped eating when it tasted funny.
I don't think it's such a bad thing to admit what you don't like. Taste-buds are there for a reason you know!
Great Article and Site! You are Blogrolled!
Saturday, June 18, 2005 2:30:00 AM
doris said...
Hi Michelle, nice to see you :-)

Thanks, I know!

Hi Anomaly

Gosh - that much teflon? I've often eaten it (in my younger days) when a cheap frying pan was on it's last legs and it would come off on the food - is that what you mean? I'm still here, so stop worrying! >cheekiness alert< I'm sure your wife loves you really and wouldn't dream of hurting you!

You have a brilliant site yourself and am coming on over today to see if you have replied to my messages!
Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:32:00 AM
Ghone said...
Have you tried Marmite and cream cheese?
It's so wrong it's right!!!
Saturday, June 18, 2005 8:58:00 PM
doris said...
I can be quite confident in saying I haven't. I'm not so sure about the texture... as a kid I did cheddar cheese and marmite sarnies so maybe this would work. I shall be brave and will try, er, tomorrow or sometime soon :-)

But I am reluctant and a little scared. Like when I first tried peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches which are actually fantastic!
Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:43:00 PM
Milt Bogs said...
You could always try the Elvis Presley Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich. It's a real killer but who cares if it enables you to sing like that.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 12:25:00 AM
millennium hippies said...
oh that is so sweet!! never had banana cream sandwiches before, but every day my daughter asks for her Elvis sandwich! (banana and peanut butter)

michele sent me!
Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:49:00 PM
doris said...
Hi Milt

Thank you for that link - I couldn't imagine eating 11 of them which is what they say Elvis would eat at a sitting.

Hi millenniumhippies

What nice people come to me from Michele's :-) I comin' over to say hello :-)
Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:54:00 PM
Zee said...
What a sweet story... Thanks for dropping by my site earlier!
Sunday, June 19, 2005 4:13:00 PM

No comments: