Wednesday 29 June 2005

Aerobically Batman

Aerobics was even tougher last night but just as zany as last week. There were quite a few more people this time including two Amazonian tall beautiful women who towered over all of us. (They were probably just ordinary nice women from down the road.) I wonder if the female teacher's testosterone levels were raised by this possible competition as the class went at such a pace that I "walked it out" for as much as five minute blocks at a time.

Less saris and tunics were worn this time as more of us wore training pants and shirts. The Amazonian women wore some serious exercise garb.

With a pre-arranged quick dash home afterwards, Mr Doris had a lovely home-made bolognese ready to eat before we rushed off for the Tuesday cinema showing. It is cheaper on a Tuesday.

Batman was the longest two hour film I have ever seen. I don't remember any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy ever feeling this long. Sure there were special effects and a lot of detail but it just missed me competely. Perhaps you need to be a Batman afficionado and wanting every detail of Batman's life, though Mr Doris doesn't particularly care for the Batman stories he did enjoy the film last night.

The best thing about the film was coming out of the cinema afterwards at 10pm at night and into the most amazing of thunder and lightning storm together with monsoon rain. This is the middle of England for heaven's sake! It was brilliant and dark and exciting and very wet.


Original Comments:

Ally said...
I liked it, and I am most definitely not a batman fan. I was in the right mood though. It prompted me to watch 'Equilibrium' (another one with Christian Bale) on dvd in the week and I still haven't got to the end, I'm finding it quite hard going.

I have a bran-cake receipe for you that I am going to post some time this week :).
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:05:00 PM
doris said...
I'm glad you enjoyed the film. Mr Doris gave some compelling reasons why he liked it too. It is very dark and although he doesn't like dark films this one he thought was great.

Oooo. A recipe for bran-cake. Sounds up my street :-) I look forward to it!
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:33:00 PM
Karen said...
I love thunder storms - When I was a kid I was terrified, my mum would sit with me on the door step watching them until I was no longer scared - I do the same with my children.
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 4:41:00 PM
zandperl said...
I liked the movie a lot too--it had a lot of character development that the others didn't have. I think the problem with the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was they were trying too hard to feel epic, so that made them feel even longer. But hands down the longest feeling movie ever was A.I..
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 4:59:00 PM
jane said...
oh i love thunder & lightening too! and baloney sandwiches. tuesdays are cheaper here too for movies. but i havent been to a movie in years. we just wait for them to come on cable. sounds as though you & mr.doris had a nice date with each other & the best part was being together. thats always our favorite part too.
Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:26:00 AM
Ghone said...
I was leaning out of an upstairs window trying to photograph some lightning, but to no avail. There must be a special technique to capturing it on film.

And I agree with ZandPerl - AI was so drawn out and really just pants!
Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:41:00 AM
thebossman said...
I didn't know they still called it Aerobics. I thought they call it all kinds of other names now (Tae-Bo, etc).

By the way, thanks for your review! Will I see the increase on this paycheck or the next one?
Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:05:00 PM
decrepitoldfool said...
When I was a kid I used to lie on the bed next to the open window at night and watch the violent thunderstorms that are so common in the midwestern US. One of my best childhood memories.
Monday, July 04, 2005 2:25:00 PM
doris said...
I was brought up in Australia where we had something terrifying called sheet lightening and was deadly. I don't know if that was really so or a distorted childhood perception. But further along, I have fond memories of sitting on the west coast of Australia watching the electrical storms safely out at sea. It would be a stunning light show with the hot and humid dark night and the sky seemingly cracking open in the distance.

Thanks for sharing your memory :-)
Monday, July 04, 2005 2:50:00 PM
arrazello said...
Hah! You disliked it for the very receason I liked it. Obviously I am a Batman affici... affe... I like Batman? ;)
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:45:00 PM

No comments: