Tuesday 10 January 2006

Mahogany Juicer

1. Today I realise that I love the word mahogany. It is a rich word that rolls around and off the tongue exercising it along the way. Visions of deep rich wood rubbed to a sensual smoothness.

2. Bought a very low-cost juicer today at the supermarket and just made our first real juice using one organic: apple; pear; orange; carrot and one passion fruit. Am looking forward to using it a bit more and experimenting. I can see why it is cheap and that the pricier models probably get more juice out. Still, with some crushed ice, it is delicious. I saw a recipe online for apple, ginger and pineapple. Hmm :-)



Original Comments:

Cheryl said...

Did you watch Balderdash and Piffle?
I'm with whatsisface - I like 'Mellifluous'.

Jealous of your juicer!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:07:00 PM

Annie said...

I've just got a juicer too. Mum got it as a Christmas present the year before last and hadn't used it. I bought a bag of cheap mandarins & we juiced them yesterday. I'm not sure that the energy and washing up involved is worth it, or at least not very often. The kids will probably love it though.
Having given up all my other drinks I'm now very keen on pure squeezed orange juice with ice. Champagne tastes and beer money as usual. I shall have to get used to Tesco Value juice I think!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:55:00 PM

Annie said...

Having seen the first hour of Celebrity Big Brother I can't bear to watch any more. Are you watching it? I thought Barrymore's entrance was a bit cringe-making.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:56:00 PM

doris said...

Cheryl I didn't see this week's episode. Was side-tracked by, er, other stuff! "Mellifluous" now that is a beautiful sounding word but it isn't pictorial for me .... I dont "see" it.

BTW I get the words "coat-hanger" and "umbrella" mixed up. I think it is the hook on the end which has gotten confused in my picture dictionary of a brain. Ha-ha! My brain is a picture dictionary but I bet Cheryl that you've got the entire Encylcopedia Brittanica in yours ;-)

Cat I agree with the washing up and mess bit of it.... but I thought the combination that I used actually gave me a buzz. Like it was a power drink. I took particular care to go for organic stuff as I used the skin (but not the orange skin!) and just "know" it had to contain lots of vitamin goodies. Certainly an easy way to get them (apart from the washing up!

As for BB - I notice that if I hadn't have been side-tracked last night that I might have missed Balderdash and Piffle as it conflicts with BB. I'd probably have given up on BB for the Balderdash though as I was excitedly anticipating last weeks episode but was a tad underenthused by it.

We all, kids too, could barely watch the cringing entrance of Barrymore. It was like, get over yourself. Most excruciating and I reckon ill-judged to have him in. I know one shouldn't be treated as guilty but.... for the family of the man who died in the pool it must be awful. I have still been watching and I'd have to say it has gotten more cringeworthy. I like your Profile pic :-)

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:13:00 PM

Skytower said...

Another one here that had a juicer for Christmas, and it is great fun - especially coming up with the weirdest concoction possible. But yes, the washing up is a right royal pain - especially the little metal juicing part itself, which is impossible to completely clean without a nailbrush.

Makes lovely drinks though!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 12:44:00 AM

Ally said...

I've gone down the 'very cheap blender' route, because got distressed at chucking out all that fibre :).

My fave smoothie at the moment is:

1 tin co-op peaches in pear juice
2 bananas
1 apple
small pot of live yoghurt
dessert spoonful of honey

Makes two large portions :)

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:53:00 PM

Writer Mom said...

Dear Doris...please tell me what is Piffle.
I admire your juicing.
I wish I would get off my bum and use the rice cooker/vegetable steamer every once in awhile.

Send recipes! I like fruit more than vegetables!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:35:00 AM

Milt Bogs said...

We've had a couple of juicers. You can drop a whole apple, orange or lemon into the current one. I guess it would also accept a guinea pig or two. At the moment I still have all my fingers.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:37:00 AM

No comments: